RE: [amibroker] Re: Random selection of stocks (was "brown paper bag")

You
may have to give me an example, but I can't think of anything you would want
to do in Excel (for stocks) that you can't do in AFL.   I realise
that is a rather bold statement, so tell me what you want to
do.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
If you
do it in Excel, you can only do it for a point in time.   You might,
for instance, find all the stocks that meet some criteria TODAY.
They might not have met that criteria five years ago.   In fact, they
might not have been trading five years ago.   Other stocks may have
met that criteria then, but they don't trade today, etc.   This is why
I have one watchlist for all stocks and let my AFL decide which ones are
tradable on any given day.   My system might only be interested in 20
stocks in January, 1989.   But, those will surely be a different
basket of stocks than my AFL will like in April, 2001.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Unless
you want to have a watchlist for every three-month period, or similar, I don't
see how one watchlist of stocks you might select today can be used to backtest a
system prior to a few months ago.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: hmab1
  [mailto:hossamb@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 10:27
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Random selection of stocks (was "brown paper
  bag")Chuck,I'm not sure if *whatever*
  anyone does to create a watchlist can become part of the AFL code.
  There are ways of selecting a watchlist that requires some number
  crunching in Excel.  As a general example, taking the results of a
  backtest and, for each ticker, taking one of the stats( columns) and
  multiplying it by something and also summing or averaging another stat for
  each trade for that ticker, etc.  Can that kind of thing be done in
  AFL & possibly using some AB add-ons.Maybe I just don't have
  enough of a grasp on some of AB's plug-ins such as ABtool, PT,
  etc.HB--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
  <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> I wasn't going to reply to
  Yuki's comment about "looking for things that> work across a random
  selection of stocks is a waste of time", but Fred has> sort of got
  me motivated to do so.> > I understand why Yuki made the
  statement, but I prefer to do the filtering> process (that she is
  manually doing) within my trading system.   Yuki, what>
  makes you select certain stocks for trading?   You don't need to
  answer that> question, but I feel that whatever anyone does to
  create a watchlist can> become part of the AFL code.   By
  doing it as part of the trading system,> stocks will come into and
  go out of the list, without my intervention, for> backtesting and
  for trading forward.   When a stock no longer has that>
  "look" that I like, it will just disappear from my list of orders to
  place.> > Just my three cents.> > >
  > >  -----Original Message-----> From: Fred
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]> Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 10:20 AM>
  To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Please send
  unmarked bills, in a brown paper bag,> to: ...> >
  >   I'm not sure I agree with the statement that "looking for
  things that>   work across a random selection of stocks
  is a waste of time".> >   Part of the process that
  makes this viable i.e. reduces random>   selection to
  specific tradables can of course be a scoring/ranking>
  ranking.> >   When properly applied this too
  works.> >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Yuki
  Taga <yukitaga@xxxx> wrote:>   > Hi
  Fred,>   >>   > Thursday, July 17,
  2003, 12:16:45 PM, you wrote:>   >>
  > F> If we had a system and it was only good enough to trade the
  S&P>   > F> wouldn't that be sufficient whether
  that was in the form of>   > F> EMini's,  Options,
  ETF's or what have you ?  Does any particular>
  > F> system have to  work across a basket of whatever to be
  viable ?>   >>   > Absolutely, it
  is not necessary.  I am making hay, lots of hay,>   >
  trading the same 5 stocks over and over according to a system.
  They>   > have made money with this system as far back
  as I can test.  They>   > continue to make
  money.  Other stocks break even with the system.
  I>   > don't know why.  I don't really care
  either.  I will continue to>   > trade the 5.
  Someday they may stop working.  On the other hand,>
  they>   > may not, as I can't find a significant time
  frame where they>   haven't.>   > But if
  they do, I'll look around for something else that works.>
  >>   > Looking for something that works across a
  "random basket of stocks">   > is A) a waste of time
  in my opinion, because B) it makes you Pope of>   >
  The Universal Church of Holy Grailism, which kicked me out years
  ago>   > for heresy. ^^_^^>
  >>   > Yuki> >
  >         Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor>