[amibroker] Re: Off Topic - Wireless Network

Thanks for the info. My GF is getting dsl in a few days and will be
looking at routers. I have been using a Linksys 4 port w/wireless for
several years and like it very much. The only problem I have noticed
is data gets corrupted when I download wirelessly. Gotta use the
wired nic. Anyone else notice this problem?

John

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Allan Wade" <allanwade@xxxx> wrote:
> LinkSys was recently purchased by Cisco. Prior to that, they had
some
> quality problems. A recent issue of PC Magazine did rate them well,
> though. The secret for "best" performance is use the recently
adopted
> "G" standard in a non mixed environment. Newer wireless routers will
> support both the "B" & "G" standard. The B Standard is the original
> 11Mbs and the G Standard is 54Mbs.  The G standard is backward
> compatible with B, which means you can have multiple laptop/desktops
> connecting with the router using the B & G standard. However, this
> compatibility comes at the cost of overhead that will slow down the
> computers connecting using the G standard. The router will have a
> configuration option (sometimes called "Turbo") to only connect to
the
> G Standard wireless cards. This will give you the fastest
connection. If
> you don't have any computers in your house that already rely on
> connecting via the B Standard, use this setting for the fastest
> connection. *Always* turn WEP (security). Always use 128 bit WEP if
it
> is available on your router. WEP *will* slow your connection down
(about
> 35-50%). but if you don't use it, anyone driving by your house can
hack
> into your system..Don't laugh, I thought this was hilarious the
first
> time I heard of it, until one of my coworkers pulled out a local map
> with all the unprotected "hot spots" marked. There are actually
people
> who drive around looking for, and mapping unprotected wireless
networks.
> They need to buy AmiBroker and get a life!
>
> I can give you a general feel as to speed with my setup: Dell D800
> Laptop, integrated Dell Wireless B/G card (great antenna.it is built
> around the display), SMC 2804WBR router (it has removable antenna's,
> allowing me to position them via cable, anywhere I want, or to use
SMC's