RE: [amibroker] Off Topic - Wireless Network

>LinkSys was
recently purchased by Cisco. Prior to that, they had some quality problems. A
recent issue of PC Magazine did rate them well, though. The secret for &#8220;best&#8221;
performance is use the recently adopted &#8220;G&#8221; standard in a non mixed
environment. Newer wireless routers will support both the &#8220;B&#8221; &
&#8220;G&#8221; standard. The B Standard is the original 11Mbs and the G Standard
is 54Mbs.  The G standard is backward compatible with B, which means you
can have multiple laptop/desktops connecting with the router using the B &
G standard. However, this compatibility comes at the cost of overhead that will
slow down the computers connecting using the G standard. The router will have a
configuration option (sometimes called &#8220;Turbo&#8221;) to only connect to the
 G Standard wireless cards. This will give you the fastest connection. If
you don&#8217;t have any computers in your house that already rely on connecting
via the B Standard, use this setting for the fastest connection. *<span
>Always* turn WEP (security). Always use 128
bit WEP if it is available on your router. WEP *will* slow your connection down (about 35-50%). but if you don&#8217;t
use it, anyone driving by your house can hack into your system&#8230;.Don&#8217;t
laugh, I thought this was hilarious the first time I heard of it, until one of
my coworkers pulled out a local map with all the unprotected &#8220;hot spots&#8221;
marked. There are actually people who drive around looking for, and mapping
unprotected wireless networks. They need to buy AmiBroker and get a life!

>I can give you
a general feel as to speed with my setup: Dell D800 Laptop, integrated Dell
Wireless B/G card (great antenna&#8230;it is built around the display), SMC
2804WBR router (it has removable antenna&#8217;s, allowing me to position them
via cable, anywhere I want, or to use SMC&#8217;s high DB gain antenna&#8217;s)
in Turbo mode.

>The router is
in my office on the second floor and at the corner of the house. I typically
use my laptop on the 1st floor, at the opposite end of the house.
The signal passes through 1 floor and 2 walls. The distance is about 45 feet. I
have WEP 128 turned on. I consistently get 4.5-6.5 Mbs throughput. I live in <font
  size=2 color=blue face="Comic Sans MS">Arizona<font size=2
color=blue face="Comic Sans MS"> and our houses are Stucco, with  chicken wire embedded in it.
I would expect a &#8220;normal&#8221; house would get a little higher through
put since there wouldn&#8217;t be the metal wire to generate interference.

>I purchased the
SMC Router based on the biases of the professional network people I work with.

>I didn&#8217;t
mention the A Standard. It is also 54Mbs, but operated on the 5.? GHz band (G
operates on 2.4 GHz, the same as your phone & microwave&#8230;and yes the
phone and microwave have the potential to interfere with the connection). I can&#8217;t
offer any real world advice on the A standard except what I have read.
Apparently the 5GHz frequency will give better sustained through put, but has trouble
going through walls and floors. I guess that would imply that if you have a
line of site connection, the A Standard may give better through put than the G
standard.

>Recent issues
of PC Magazine & PC World have articles and ratings in them on Wireless
Networks.

>Hope this
helps.