[amibroker] Re: Dimensionally Coherent Relative Strength

Franko,
A function[transformation] F is defined as linear when
F(x+y)=F(x)+F(y)
F(k*x)=k*f(x), k is a constant
The linearity of a function has nothing to do with coherence.
A simple example: The RSI transformation is obviously non-linear [do
not expect RSI(10*C)=10*RSI(C),
simply because 10*RSI(C) will vary from 0 to 1000.
On the other side, the RSI transformation should pass the c-test. To
avoid boring maths, simply
x=C;
y=10*C;
Plot(RSIA(x),"RSI[C]",4,1);
Plot(RSIA(y),"RSI[10*C]",1,1);
and you will see two identical plots.
BTW, the same definition implies that MACD is not a coherent
transformation, although it is pretty linear.
See the simple
x=C;
y=10*C;
MACDofx=EMA(x,12)-EMA(x,26);
MACDofy=EMA(y,12)-EMA(y,26);
MACDofxplusy=EMA(x+y,12)-EMA(x+y,26);
Plot(MACDofxplusy,"MACD of (x+y)",2,1);
Plot(MACDofx+MACDofy,"MACD of x +MACD of y",9,1);
Plot(MACDofy,"MACD of 10*x",1,1);Plot(10*MACDofx,"10*MACD of x",4,1);
to agree that MACD passes the linearity test,
although it does not pass the c-test [do not expect MACDofy and
MACDofy to have the same graph !!]

In practical terms, is there any limitation when we apply RSI or
MACD,
based on the fact that RSI is coherent and MACD is not ?
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Franco Gornati <fgornati@xxxx>