RE: [amibroker] Re: Annoying programming problem: ideas please?

Al and
Owen,

I haven't seen the article in
question, but I was reasonably sure that it was all about 25 days of intraday
data and 25 bars of data.  I would think that it is more important to
consider how many trades were generated than how many bars or days.
It's not a science, but if there were less than 25 trades per parameter then the
statistical significance is negligible (IMO).   I would prefer to see
more than 100 trades per parameter, but 25 would be a
minimum.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  -----Original
  Message-----From: Al Venosa
  [mailto:advenosa@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 8:35
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker]
  Re: Annoying programming problem: ideas please?
  Owen,

  I am a subscriber to Active Trader, and I'm wondering if the article that
  you are referring to is The Velocity System by Dennis Myers? If so, then it's
  true that he tested his Least Squares Velocity System over a period
  ranging from Oct. 9 to Nov. 8, 2002, but he used 5-min bars over that time
  period. His in-sample (IS) optimization period consisted of 1 month of 5-min
  bars while his OOS period consisted of 2 weeks of 5-min bars subsequent to the
  1 month IS period. Since there are 78 5-min bars in a trading day and
  approximately 22 trading days in a month, there were 78*22 or 1,716 bars
  over which he optimized his system and 78*11 or 858 OOS bars comprising his
  walk-forward test. So, it appears that he had sufficient data to provide a
  reliable test, certainly not 25 bars. Do I have the correct article in mind? I
  can't find any other instance where an author tested only 25 bars IS and 25
  bars OOS.

  Al Venosa

  <BLOCKQUOTE