RE: [amibroker] Re: Graham Kavanagh - - P&F?

Graham,When I use TechnifilterPlus P&F charts and
indicators, there is an additional choice, whether to reverse the order of
first and next when drawing the boxes. I've
copied the TF+ narrative for Os below; Xs should be self-evident.

I believe the given order is more common, but have found the
reverse useful in some cases.Which do
you use?Bob
---Charting OsWhen charting Os for the next day,
we  [first] look at the lowest price and ask: "Do we
reverse to an X column?" To get the answer, we look at the high price and ask:
"If I plot this high, will it be 3 (or more) boxes higher than the bottom of the
current O column?" If the answer is yes, we reverse to an X column. In the new X
column, we place an X at the highest price (which must be at least three boxes
higher than the lowest O in the previous O column). Then, we plot enough Xs to
connect the X at the high to the box immediately above the lowest O in the
previous column.If the answer is no, we [next] ask: "Do
we chart a new O for this price?" If the answer is yes, we plot the O, cover any
gap in the O column, and repeat this question for the next day. If the answer is
no, we don't plot anything; we proceed to the next day and restart our
procedure.-----Original Message-----From: Graham [<A
href="">mailto:gkavanagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent:
Wednesday, June 11, 2003 8:57 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
RE: [amibroker] Re: Graham Kavanagh - - P&F?aequalszI have
read the Dorsey book too, and some othersI also used the following websites
as assistance for use of P&F<A target=_blank
href="">http://members.ozemail.com.au/~sarcher/<A
target=_blank
href="">http://www.stockcharts.com/education/How/AnalysisTools/pnfCharts.htmlPlus
a few othersOne thing I note about most references is that they use the HiLo
P&F, withthe box size varying according to the price range. My basic
P&F for bothClose prices and HiLo is sizing the box on the last range of
prices, andassign that box size to all the chart. I have produced a PF that
hasvariable box sizes according to the price ranges, but it can be hard to
useas it needs to be broken into the number of boxes on the Yaxis. You need
toconvert this back to prices, although I have done that in the title of
thechart for a selected column. This has the file name incorporating Vbox
init, not certain if it is on the yahoo or AB websites, but I believe I
didsend a version of it to my website.Not certain what you mean by
Brand of P&F.Cheers,Graham<A target=_blank
href="">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading<A
target=_blank
href="">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia-----Original
Message-----From: aequalsz [<A
href="">mailto:aequalsz@xxxxxxxxx]Sent:
Thursday, 12 June 2003 9:26 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
[amibroker] Re: Graham Kavanagh - -
P&F?Graham,Thoroughly checked your code and was
impressed by your efforts -although I did make a few superficial mods.
Don't actually knowmuch about P&F charts so I checked out "Point &
Figure Charting" byThomas J. Dorsey and from that book was able to better
understandthe P&F method.  I decided to follow his methodology, at
least asclosely as I could. Also was wondering what "brand" of P&F you
useor what references do you use?  Thanks again for the code and
foryour help.a--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Graham"
<gkavanagh@xxxx> wrote:> Mike> 1. I have not found any bugs
in the latest Beta version.> If you instal the beta version it only
updates the operatingfiles, not any> of your settings, afls etc. At
least I have had no problems 2. Your> choice to use latest or not. I
changed it as my earlierversions> were set around a price scale in
cents. The new is in dollars. 3. I> won't comment on other software. My
P&F works well enough forme. But> because the charts can be based
on different factors including boxsize &> method of sizing,
reversal amount and style, what price (HiLo orClose). I> made every
endeavour for the PF chart to be correct. If you findan error> within
the formula let me know.>>> Cheers,> Graham>
<A target=_blank
href="">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading>
<A target=_blank
href="">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia>>>
-----Original Message-----> From: mroman59 [<A
href="">mailto:mroman59@x...]> Sent: Thursday, 12
June 2003 8:50 AM> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject:
[amibroker] Graham Kavanagh - - P&F?>>>
Graham>> I was using an earlier version of P&F in 4.30. I know
that I needI> get V4.38 to use your most recent version of
P&F.>> Questions:>> 1. V4.38 is beta version,
since it is beta are there any bugsstill> in the program and if we
download it will it overwrite 4.30. Could> we be asking for technical
problems by using 4.38?>> 2. Since your previous version of
P&F works in 4.30, then whywould> we want to use your latest
version of P&F?>> 3. I compared your P&F chart to another
program on the web forP&F,> for various stocks. The patterns were
not close in appearance.While> I know that P&F can vary in its
programing to meet the usersneeds,> just like using a different MA,
shouldn't patterns look similar to> some degree.>> The
website I was looking at is www.jcharts.com. Just click on> member icon,
entry is free. Then you have an option to put in your> stock of interest.
After that, you can use a drop down menu to> choose the chart
style.>> If you have time and don't mind looking, I would
appreciate it.>> Thanks> Your aways a big help>
Mike>>>> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get> A Free Psychic Reading!
Your Online Answer To Life's ImportantQuestions.> <A target=_blank
href="">http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/GHeqlB/TM>
target=_blank
group FAQ at:<A target=_blank
href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.htmlYour
use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <A target=_blank
href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/------------------------
href="">http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/GHeqlB/TM---------------------------------------------------------------------~->Send
AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(Web page: <A