Re: [amibroker] Re: Study ID

Hello Wolfgang,

I would recommend asking Tomasz Janeczko, the author of
AmiBroker, for details on inners of AB.

>From: "global_investor" <independent_opinion@xxxxxxx>
>
> first of all I want to say that your ABtool is an interesting
> project. I took a brief look at it yesterday after purchasing
> Amibroker RT.    I have developed an experimental plug-in DLL
> extension to Metastock, which calls via JNI the Java 2 virtual
> machine.    The intention was however a totally different one than
> ABtool's objective: Rather than providing a set of external commands
> to make programming in Metastock's formula language easier,  the
> idea was to create an external environment within which indicators
> can be _entirely_ implemented in Java using all the nice stuff such
> as the collection classes, object orientation etc.

Sounds interessting, what was the reason to stop the project?

> But back to the topic before digressing too much:  The fact that you
> are able to implement the xxStudyGetNext() function in the next
> ABtool version shows that it is somehow possible to obtain all study
> IDs for the studies drawn by the user.
>
> I have skimmed over the file adk.html included with the ADK and
> understand that AFL plug-ins have the ability to call internal
> Amibroker functions via the CallFunction() method of the site
> interface. But I'd like to know through which functions one can
> obtain things like the study and chart IDs for all the studies drawn
> by the user for a specific stock.

simply calling study() and analysing the result... :-)

> Further, it would be very useful and open up interesting
> possibilities if it was possible for plug-in developers to get
> information on every study the user has drawn in the charts for a
> specific stock, without being required to know in advance details
> such as chartID and studyID.

It is possible if you go thru all possibilities...

> With information on a study, I do not mean just the array of points
> returned by study() function, but also information such as StartX,
> StartY, EndX, EndY, StartBarNum, EndBarNum, LeftExtend, RightExtend.

Oh boy, I have no idea yet about the internals of study(), because
I hadn't used them until yesterday. I only know that study() returns
an array, and if there is any non empty value then it must be a defined
study. From that StartBarNum end EndBarNum is extractable,
but the others I don't know.

> Also, Amibroker's concept of multiple chart sheets is very useful,
> but right now the chartID is a mess.  It is well possible that I
> have not yet really understood the chartID concept.  It would be
> very useful if for any given chart pane one can obtain the
> information like the number of the chart sheet the chart pane is
> assigned to. Is this already possible?    If so, it would be able
> for an external plug-in to issue an alert to the user as follows:
> "Ticker uvwx: Check chart sheet #3 for a trendline violation.".

Sorry that all is beyond my level. But one thing I don't understand is,
that you seem not to like the chartid concept. How else should/would
one do it if not the way it was already done? You have to identify each
object, and here objects are the windows and the studies within them,
so really for me it is clear and the correct way of doing it.

> In short, what I propose (and I hope TJ listens if this is not yet
> possible with AB) is the introduction of methods through which for
> any given stock a plug-in can inquire about all studies the user has
> drawn and then get information on these studies (without being
> required to have any knowledge of chartIDs and studyIDs in advance).

As said above, this is possible, even at user level since the chartIds
are documented (see study()). You only need to browse thru all
and collect the studyIds for each chartid and put them both into
a table or some arrays...

> It wouldn't be any problem if this information got only provided at
> a lower level like the site interface, this could even be an
> advantage.     With tools like ABtool, this functionality could be
> made available at AFL level in a user-friendly form, but I'm
> personally interested in getting the information directly from
> Amibroker without having to use rely on other plugins.

Tomasz has kindly offered you his help if you provide him details
of your request. I would make use of it.

UM

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/GHeqlB/TM