RE: [amibroker] To compound or not to compound... that is the question

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Answers to Dingo's questions below:
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>1.  Which column(s) to use when deciding which parameters are
"best"?   I actually take the trade results to another program, but
given the columns that are available in AB, I would use total net profit and/or
average trade.   Hopefully, some of the parameters will be same at the
top of both of those lists.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>2.  Which date ranges do I use?   I pretty much always use
1992 to current date.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>3.  I use all 13,500 active and extinct stocks that have ever traded
since January, 1992 that were over $1 on at least one day and had an average
50-day volume of 75,000 shares on at least one day.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>4.  Do I set aside any losing trades/stocks?  No.
Since my largest loss can only be $10,000 and the profit can be in the millions,
I keep in all losing trades.  As I explained in previous email, the losses
CAN BE more than the investment on a few short trades.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>5.  How do I determine that the best parameters (if I include huge
profitable trades) could be on the edge of the parameter space?   I
can't really determine that information, nor do I really care.   I
remove those stocks from my watchlist and re-optimise.   If I end up
with a new list of huge winners, I might repeat the process.   I just
don't want to choose a parameter that squeezes in a couple of huge trades but is
inferior on the rest of the market.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>6.  How do I decide which signals to take every day (if I had more
signals than cash)?   Using AB, I would place something that I could
sort the signals by that I have proven to myself increases the likelihood of the
signal being a good one.   For simplicity, let's say that I was an
advocate of using low P/E for buying stocks (I'm not).  I would add a
column to my Explore that showed the current P/E.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I'm
quite happy to discuss any of this further.   Obviously, these are
only my views and they are no better than those you or others might have on the
subject.   I have the benefit of trading for (too) many years and the
possible disadvantage of "being past it".
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: dingo
  [mailto:dingo@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 11:10
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  To compound or not to compound... that is the question
  can understand and appreciate why you use fixed trade sizes in order to get
  the best parameters. But how do you get a reasonable measure of drawdowns that
  way?  Do you use some other technique to evaluate
  drawdowns?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  Re
  your param selection method: Do I understand the steps
  correctly:
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  1.
  You optimize for the best params
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>        a. Based on what column or
  calculation?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>        b. What date ranges would
  you be using currently?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>        c. What subset of stocks
  would you be optmizing on?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  2.
  You set aside the the top 100.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>        a. Do you set aside any at
  the bottom?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>        b. How did
  you determine that the first set of params would be at the edge of the
  parameter space?
  <SPAN
  class=671315814-17042003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  3.
  You reoptimize the resultant set from step 2 and those are the ones you
  use.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Given the size of your trading capital how do you decide what stocks to
  trade on a particular day?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  I'm
  not trying to pick a fight here I'm intensely curious as I've been struggling
  with these questions for quite some time now.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Thanks for any comments you choose to make.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>d

    <FONT
    face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck
    Rademacher [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday,
    April 17, 2003 6:58 AMTo:
    amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] To compound or not
    to compound... that is the question
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Reply to Fred:
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Yes... and no.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Absolutely, in real time trading I am
compounding.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    determine parameters via optimization.... not if my life depended on
    it!   And, I guess my life does depend on it, as I make my living
    managing funds for others.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    mentioned one trade (AOL) where my system made $1.5 million on a $10,000
    investment.  That's not bragging... I'm sure you could come up
    with a system that could achieve similar performance.   Since the
    average trade generated a profit of $2,700 for every $10,000 invested, the
    AOL trade could cover up lots of bad trades made using one parameter
    set.   Compounding that trade would exacerbate the
    problem.   A minor tweak to the parameters could cut out the AOL
    trade, yet that very tweak could improve performance going
    forward.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>When choosing parameters, I want plain vanilla trades, each standing
    on their own merit, with no compounding.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    We
    may have to agree to disagree.   It's like absolute gospel to me
    and I cannot see clear to do it any other way.

    <BLOCKQUOTE

      <FONT face="Times New Roman"
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
      [mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 3:16
      AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
      FW: [aaft_ta] Re: TradingRecipesChuck,I'm
      sure you'd agree, wouldn't you ?, that one way or another you
      compound.  If you are not compounding by increasing bet size then
      you are compounding by increasing the number of stocks you'll
      potentially take simultaneous positions in as equity grows, right
      ?  --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
      <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> For what it is worth, I use
      fixed bet size for all backtesting purposes.   I>
      coudn't imagine backtesting/optimizing using any other approach.  I
      even go> a step further if I'm doing any
      optimizing.   I recently posted an equity> curve
      showing something like $80 million in profit.   Within that
      $80> million, the top 100 stocks (out of 13,500) generated $20
      million in> profits.  AOL, by itself, generated $1.5 million
      in profits.  In each case,> the original trade was only
      $10,000.> > As I said, I go a step further than just using a
      fixed bet size.  After my> first pass at optimizing, I
      remove the top performing 100 stocks.  I then> re-optimize
      without those stocks.  Granted, I could end up with some
      new> "top" stocks.  However, my objective is to remove the
      extremely large> winners so that the profits from those stocks
      don't cause me to select> parameters on the edge of the
      parameter space.> > I don't bother removing the worst
      performers as the largest loss might be> something like $16,000
      (even though the original trade was only $10,000).> This can
      happen if a short trade goes against you.> > As I said...
      for what it's worth...>   -----Original
      Message----->   From: Bob Jagow
      [mailto:bjagow@xxxx]>   Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003
      2:21 AM>   To: Amibroker>   Subject:
      [amibroker] FW: [aaft_ta] Re: TradingRecipes> >
      bullet.> >   Bob>   -----Original
      Message----->   From: Palmer Wright
      [mailto:palmerw@xxxx]>   Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003
      8:27 PM>   To:
      aaft_ta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Subject: Re: [aaft_ta] Fwd:
      Re: Available Portfolio testing programs for> TS2000i>
      > >   Since Michael forwarded the two messages
      (see below), he added four> additional ones. The issue about
      whether a "basket system" like Aberration> is worth trading I
      will not discuss here (I still trade it). The other main> issue
      is about the effect of compounding when testing with TR
      (Trading> Recipes), and I comment here on that.>
      >   Traders buy TR because it can test portfolios of
      systems and markets using> position sizing. A position-sizing
      strategy such as fixed-fractional money> management brings two
      advantages: it normalizes markets (eg., calculating> many
      contracts for corn, but few for natural gas), and limits entry risk
      for> each position to a fixed- fraction of current equity--thus
      preventing> overtrading. If you do not use TR, I do not know
      how you can get the large> returns that compounding multiple
      markets can bring.> >   Leslie Walko points to the
      potential danger of curve fitting caused by> compounding. I
      agree, and have been concerned for years about how one market>
      in a portfolio (commodity X) by being dramatically profitable in a
      single> year can misleadingly bias the results of the whole
      portfolio.> >   During a multi-year test in TR,
      starting equity is low, perhaps $100,000,> but compounding
      raises equity to many million in later years. The one-year>
      outperformance of commodity X cand produce two kinds of curve-fitting
      bias:> early-years bias and end-years bias. Mark Johnson's message
      describes the> first, where X gives "a big turbocharged boost"
      to the portfolio's equity,> which then gives a head-start boost
      to the number of trades in all the> commodities traded. The
      second occurs when X's monster trades occur in the> final years
      of the simulated time period when the large number of
      contracts> makes X's profit far larger than if its big year
      came early. Here the> profits contributed by X dwarf what they
      were in the first case.> >   As the message from M
      points out, we can avoid such biases by normalizing> with a
      fixed-dollar bet size in testing to remove the galloping
      equity> effect. I proposed this method in 1999, and still use
      it to compare with the> compounded performance. I confess,
      however, that my testing has failed to> find as much
      performance bias as I suspected I would find. The method is>
      most important when selecting markets for a portfolio.>
      >   Palmer Wright>     -----
      Original Message ----->     From: Michael
      Guess>     To:
      aaft_ta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>     Sent: Sunday,
      April 13, 2003 9:14 AM>     Subject: [aaft_ta]
      Fwd: Re: Available Portfolio testing programs for>
      TS2000i> > >     This is for Pat
      Mazur & Palmer Wright. Others are invited to comment. I>
      forwarded these two messages from another list because we have
      discussed> these issues in the past. It appears one of the
      posts is saying Trading> Recipes is in error in the way it
      calculates. In fact, that it curve fits> data in a particular
      case. Comments are invited.> >
      Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.>
      >         Yahoo! Groups
      Sponsor>
      ADVERTISEMENT> > > > >   Send
      BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx>   Send SUGGESTIONS to