size=2>

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck Rademacher
  [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003
  4:00 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
  [amibroker] To compound or not to compound... that is the
  question
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Answers to Dingo's questions below:
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>1.  Which column(s) to use when deciding which parameters are
  "best"?   I actually take the trade results to another program, but
  given the columns that are available in AB, I would use total net profit
  and/or average trade.   Hopefully, some of the parameters will be
  same at the top of both of those lists.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000
  size=2>I too have another program and am
  curious as to what calculated results would lead to the "best"
  params?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>2.  Which date ranges do I use?   I pretty much always
  use 1992 to current date.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000
  size=2>You go all the way to the current
  period?  Do you not test out of sample?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>3.  I use all 13,500 active and extinct stocks that have ever
  traded since January, 1992 that were over $1 on at least one day and had an
  average 50-day volume of 75,000 shares on at least one
day.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>4.  Do I set aside any losing trades/stocks?  No.
  Since my largest loss can only be $10,000 and the profit can be in the
  millions, I keep in all losing trades.  As I explained in previous email,
  the losses CAN BE more than the investment on a few short
  trades.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>5.  How do I determine that the best parameters (if I include huge
  profitable trades) could be on the edge of the parameter space?   I
  can't really determine that information, nor do I really care.   I
  remove those stocks from my watchlist and re-optimise.   If I end up
  with a new list of huge winners, I might repeat the process.   I
  just don't want to choose a parameter that squeezes in a couple of huge trades
  but is inferior on the rest of the market.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000
  size=2>You method sure is counter intuitive
  until I think about your reasoning.  I take it you're not a disciple of
  stocks having their own individual params?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>6.  How do I decide which signals to take every day (if I had more
  signals than cash)?   Using AB, I would place something that I could
  sort the signals by that I have proven to myself increases the likelihood of
  the signal being a good one.   For simplicity, let's say that I was
  an advocate of using low P/E for buying stocks (I'm not).  I would add a
  column to my Explore that showed the current P/E.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000
  size=2>If you were to make this decision
  independent of AB then would you make the decision?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000
  size=2>
  <FONT
  size=2>I'm quite happy to discuss any of this further.   Obviously,
  these are only my views and they are no better than those you or others might
  have on the subject.   I have the benefit of trading for (too) many
  years and the possible disadvantage of "being past it".<SPAN
  class=843033320-17042003>
  <FONT
  size=2><SPAN
  class=843033320-17042003>
  <FONT
  size=2>Do you ever
  re-optimize for the purpose of calc'ing new params?  If you do how
  do you decide when it is time to do
  that?
  <FONT
  size=2><SPAN
  class=843033320-17042003>
  <FONT
  size=2>Thanks for your
  answers!
  <FONT
  size=2><SPAN
  class=843033320-17042003>
  <FONT
  size=2><FONT
  color=#ff0000>d
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: dingo
    [mailto:dingo@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 11:10
    AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
    [amibroker] To compound or not to compound... that is the
    question
    can understand and appreciate why you use fixed trade sizes in order to get
    the best parameters. But how do you get a reasonable measure of drawdowns
    that way?  Do you use some other technique to evaluate
    drawdowns?
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    Re
    your param selection method: Do I understand the steps
    correctly:
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    1.
    You optimize for the best params
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>        a. Based on what column or
    calculation?
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>        b. What date ranges would
    you be using currently?
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>        c. What subset of stocks
    would you be optmizing on?
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    2.
    You set aside the the top 100.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>        a. Do you set aside any at
    the bottom?
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>        b. How did
    you determine that the first set of params would be at the edge of the
    parameter space?
    <SPAN
    class=671315814-17042003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    3.
    You reoptimize the resultant set from step 2 and those are the ones you
    use.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Given the size of your trading capital how do you decide what stocks
    to trade on a particular day?
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>I'm not trying to pick a fight here I'm intensely curious as I've
    been struggling with these questions for quite some time
    now.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>Thanks for any comments you choose to make.
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
    size=2>d

      <FONT
      face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck
      Rademacher [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday,
      April 17, 2003 6:58 AMTo:
      amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] To compound or
      not to compound... that is the question
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Reply to Fred:
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Yes... and no.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>Absolutely, in real time trading I am
      compounding.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>To determine parameters via optimization.... not if my life
      depended on it!   And, I guess my life does depend on it, as I
      make my living managing funds for others.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      mentioned one trade (AOL) where my system made $1.5 million on a $10,000
      investment.  That's not bragging... I'm sure you could come up
      with a system that could achieve similar performance.   Since
      the average trade generated a profit of $2,700 for every $10,000 invested,
      the AOL trade could cover up lots of bad trades made using one parameter
      set.   Compounding that trade would exacerbate the
      problem.   A minor tweak to the parameters could cut out the AOL
      trade, yet that very tweak could improve performance going
      forward.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>When choosing parameters, I want plain vanilla trades, each
      standing on their own merit, with no compounding.
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>We may have to agree to disagree.   It's like absolute
      gospel to me and I cannot see clear to do it any other
      way.
      <BLOCKQUOTE

        <FONT face="Times New Roman"
        size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
        [mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003
        3:16 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
        [amibroker] FW: [aaft_ta] Re:
        TradingRecipesChuck,I'm sure you'd
        agree, wouldn't you ?, that one way or another you compound.
        If you are not compounding by increasing bet size then you are
        compounding by increasing the number of stocks you'll potentially
        take simultaneous positions in as equity grows, right ?
        --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
        <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> For what it is worth, I
        use fixed bet size for all backtesting purposes.
        I> coudn't imagine backtesting/optimizing using any other
        approach.  I even go> a step further if I'm doing any
        optimizing.   I recently posted an equity> curve
        showing something like $80 million in profit.   Within that
        $80> million, the top 100 stocks (out of 13,500) generated
        $20 million in> profits.  AOL, by itself, generated $1.5
        million in profits.  In each case,> the original trade
        was only $10,000.> > As I said, I go a step further than
        just using a fixed bet size.  After my> first pass at
        optimizing, I remove the top performing 100 stocks.  I
        then> re-optimize without those stocks.  Granted, I could
        end up with some new> "top" stocks.  However, my
        objective is to remove the extremely large> winners so that
        the profits from those stocks don't cause me to select>
        parameters on the edge of the parameter space.> > I don't
        bother removing the worst performers as the largest loss might
        be> something like $16,000 (even though the original trade was
        only $10,000).> This can happen if a short trade goes against
        you.> > As I said... for what it's
        worth...>   -----Original
        Message----->   From: Bob Jagow
        [mailto:bjagow@xxxx]>   Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003
        2:21 AM>   To: Amibroker>   Subject:
        [amibroker] FW: [aaft_ta] Re: TradingRecipes> >
        >   Re the "portfolio level testing" magic
        bullet.> >   Bob>
        -----Original Message----->   From: Palmer Wright
        [mailto:palmerw@xxxx]>   Sent: Wednesday, April 16,
        2003 8:27 PM>   To:
        aaft_ta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Subject: Re: [aaft_ta] Fwd:
        Re: Available Portfolio testing programs for> TS2000i>
        > >   Since Michael forwarded the two messages
        (see below), he added four> additional ones. The issue about
        whether a "basket system" like Aberration> is worth trading I
        will not discuss here (I still trade it). The other main>
        issue is about the effect of compounding when testing with TR
        (Trading> Recipes), and I comment here on that.>
        >   Traders buy TR because it can test portfolios of
        systems and markets using> position sizing. A position-sizing
        strategy such as fixed-fractional money> management brings
        two advantages: it normalizes markets (eg., calculating> many
        contracts for corn, but few for natural gas), and limits entry risk
        for> each position to a fixed- fraction of current equity--thus
        preventing> overtrading. If you do not use TR, I do not know
        how you can get the large> returns that compounding multiple
        markets can bring.> >   Leslie Walko points to
        the potential danger of curve fitting caused by> compounding.
        I agree, and have been concerned for years about how one
        market> in a portfolio (commodity X) by being dramatically
        profitable in a single> year can misleadingly bias the
        results of the whole portfolio.> >   During a
        multi-year test in TR, starting equity is low, perhaps
        $100,000,> but compounding raises equity to many million in
        later years. The one-year> outperformance of commodity X cand
        produce two kinds of curve-fitting bias:> early-years bias
        and end-years bias. Mark Johnson's message describes the>
        first, where X gives "a big turbocharged boost" to the portfolio's
        equity,> which then gives a head-start boost to the number of
        trades in all the> commodities traded. The second occurs when
        X's monster trades occur in the> final years of the simulated
        time period when the large number of contracts> makes X's
        profit far larger than if its big year came early. Here the>
        profits contributed by X dwarf what they were in the first case.>
        >   As the message from M points out, we can avoid such
        biases by normalizing> with a fixed-dollar bet size in
        testing to remove the galloping equity> effect. I proposed
        this method in 1999, and still use it to compare with the>
        compounded performance. I confess, however, that my testing has
        failed to> find as much performance bias as I suspected I
        would find. The method is> most important when selecting
        markets for a portfolio.> >   Palmer
        Wright>     ----- Original Message
        ----->     From: Michael
        Guess>     To:
        aaft_ta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>     Sent: Sunday,
        April 13, 2003 9:14 AM>     Subject:
        [aaft_ta] Fwd: Re: Available Portfolio testing programs for>
        TS2000i> > >     This is for
        Pat Mazur & Palmer Wright. Others are invited to comment.
        I> forwarded these two messages from another list because we have
        discussed> these issues in the past. It appears one of the
        posts is saying Trading> Recipes is in error in the way it
        calculates. In fact, that it curve fits> data in a particular
        case. Comments are invited.> >
        Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.>
        >         Yahoo! Groups
        Sponsor>
        ADVERTISEMENT> > > > >
        Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx>   Send SUGGESTIONS to