  >From:
  dingo
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 3:44
  PM
  Subject: RE: [amibroker] Re: Trailing
  Stops

  <SPAN
  >were the tests that
  produced this set of images run for the same date range as the ones in your
  prior message?  The expectancies are different as well as the other
  statistics and Iā€™m wondering why?
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  Message-----From: Stephen
  Almond (F) [mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] <SPAN
  >Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 7:58
  AMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  >Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Trailing
  Stops
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <FONT face=Arial color=black
  size=2>Here
  are some pictures of the "Fred's Equity" relating to the various
  positionsizes.

  <FONT face=Arial color=black
  size=2><SPAN
  >Order:

  <FONT face=Arial color=black
  size=2>No
  positionsize

  <FONT face=Arial color=black
  size=2><SPAN
  >$1,000

  <FONT face=Arial color=black
  size=2><SPAN
  >$10,000

  <FONT face=Arial color=black
  size=2><SPAN
  >10%

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <FONT face=Arial color=black
  size=2>Do they
  mean anything.......?

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <FONT face=Arial color=black
  size=2><SPAN
  >Steve
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN
    >From:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> <A
    title=steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    href="">Stephen Almond (F)

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >To:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> <A
    title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >Sent:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2>
    Saturday, April 12, 2003 11:28 AM

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >Subject:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> Re:
    [amibroker] Re: Trailing Stops

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face=Arial color=black
    size=2><SPAN
    >Fred,

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face=Arial color=black
    size=2>I
    think one of the sensible things to achieve with a backtest is a
    conservative result. If you allow compounding to run unchecked then pretty
    soon you find the system is casually putting $1,000,000 or so into a single
    position. Fixed position size doesn't necessarily reflect the way any of us
    invest, but it does show whether the system produces consistent winners and
    is IMO a much better basis for comparison between
    systems.

    <FONT face=Arial color=black
    size=2>As a,
    contrived, example:

    <FONT face=Arial color=black
    size=2><SPAN
    >System A produces
    a steady 20% gain on every trade. System B produces a steady 15% gain on
    every trade except the last one which makes 80% gain. With compounding
    system B looks so much better, but I for one would rather trade system A
    going forward. The effect of one fortuitous trade can be overwhelming when
    compounding occurs (depending on when it
    occurs).

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face=Arial color=black
    size=2><SPAN
    >Attached are
    the results of one simple system traded on one index, initial equity is
    $10,000 in each case. Shown are results for a)No positionsize, b)fixed
    positionsize of Ā£1,000, c)fixed positionsize of Ā£10,000, d)positionsize of
    10%.

    <FONT face=Arial color=black
    size=2>I'm
    particularly interested in the Expectancy. Is this a good measure of the
    quality of a system? Most of the other parameters are 'adjustable' simply by
    changing positionsize. Expectancy seems to cut through some of the fog
    generated.

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face=Arial color=black
    size=2><SPAN
    >Steve

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3>

    <FONT face="Courier New"
    size=2>

    <P class=MsoNormal
    ><FONT
    face="Courier New" size=2><SPAN
    >I am curious if the
    methodology of limiting position sizes to fixed dollar amounts is
    something you actually do.  The construct of PositionSize = Percent
    as opposed to DollarAmount is also a feature in AB which for those who
    trade portfolios of stocks is one I understand.  What I don't
    follow about using PositionSize = DollarAmount is for example once your
    portfolio eventually doubles in size you'll only be trading 50% of it
    won't you ?  Another AB proviso here is that it doesn't seem to
    limit the number of simultaneous trades one can make regardless of how
    one sizes PositionSize relative to InitialEquity.  By that I mean
    if I have 10 tradable things in my group and I specify that PositionSize
    = 50% of equity, it will still allow me to have 10 open positions, same
    thing if I specify my initial equity is $500k and PositionSize =
    $250K.  Again neither of these conditions is
    realistic.
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3><FONT
    face="Courier New" size=2>Send BUG REPORTS to
    bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
    ><FONT
    face="Courier New">Send SUGGESTIONS to
    suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
    face="Courier New">-----------------------------------------<FONT
    face="Courier New">Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
    amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web
    page: <A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)<FONT
    face="Courier New">--------------------------------------------<FONT
    face="Courier New">Check group FAQ at: <A
    <SPAN
    >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A
    href="">Yahoo! Terms of
    Service.
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3><SPAN
  ><FONT
  face="Courier New" size=2>Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  ><FONT
  face="Courier New">Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
  face="Courier New">-----------------------------------------<FONT
  face="Courier New">Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
  amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web
  page: <A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)<FONT
  face="Courier New">Check group FAQ at: <A
  Your
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of
  Service.
  Send