From: Stephen Almond (F)
[mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003
7:58 AM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re:
Trailing Stops

face=Arial>Here
are some pictures of the "Fred's Equity" relating to the various
positionsizes.

face=Arial>Order:

face=Arial>No
positionsize

face=Arial>$1,000

face=Arial>$10,000

face=Arial>10%

face=Arial>Do they
mean anything.......?

face=Arial>Steve

face=Arial>From:<font
size=2 face=Arial> <a
href="" title="steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx">Stephen
Almond (F)

>To:<font
size=2 face=Arial> <a
href="" title="amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Sent:<font
size=2 face=Arial> Saturday,
April 12, 2003 11:28 AM

>Subject:<font
size=2 face=Arial> Re:
[amibroker] Re: Trailing Stops

face=Arial>Fred,

face=Arial>I think
one of the sensible things to achieve with a backtest is a conservative result.
If you allow compounding to run unchecked then pretty soon you find the system
is casually putting $1,000,000 or so into a single position. Fixed position
size doesn't necessarily reflect the way any of us invest, but it does show
whether the system produces consistent winners and is IMO a much better basis
for comparison between systems.

face=Arial>As a,
contrived, example:

face=Arial>System
A produces a steady 20% gain on every trade. System B produces a steady 15%
gain on every trade except the last one which makes 80% gain. With compounding
system B looks so much better, but I for one would rather trade system A going
forward. The effect of one fortuitous trade can be overwhelming when
compounding occurs (depending on when it occurs).

face=Arial>Attached are
the results of one simple system traded on one index, initial equity is $10,000
in each case. Shown are results for a)No positionsize, b)fixed positionsize of
£1,000, c)fixed positionsize of £10,000, d)positionsize of 10%.

face=Arial>I'm
particularly interested in the Expectancy. Is this a good measure of the
quality of a system? Most of the other parameters are 'adjustable' simply by
changing positionsize. Expectancy seems to cut through some of the fog
generated.

face=Arial>Steve

I am curious if the methodology of limiting position sizes to fixed
dollar amounts is something you actually do.  The construct of
PositionSize = Percent as opposed to DollarAmount is also a feature
in AB which for those who trade portfolios of stocks is one I
understand.  What I don't follow about using PositionSize =
DollarAmount is for example once your portfolio eventually doubles in
size you'll only be trading 50% of it won't you ?

Another AB proviso here is that it doesn't seem to limit the number
of simultaneous trades one can make regardless of how one sizes
PositionSize relative to InitialEquity.  By that I mean if I have 10
tradable things in my group and I specify that PositionSize = 50% of
equity, it will still allow me to have 10 open positions, same thing
if I specify my initial equity is $500k and PositionSize = $250K.
Again neither of these conditions is realistic.

Send
BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<font size=2
face="Courier New">

Your use of