RE: [amibroker] FW: Drawdown from Entry

<FONT color=#000080
size=2>Ken,
<FONT color=#000080
size=2>
You may define DD
anyway you want.  What you will get is a DD based on past history.
Each and every trade in the future will be unique and may not correspond to the
historical DD from the past.  In other words you never know what is going
to happen.
<FONT color=#000080
size=2>
So rather than
focus on DD, maybe the focus should be on stop loss.  Decide ahead of time
what you are willing to risk on each trade.
<FONT color=#000080
size=2>
Just my humble
opinion.

<FONT face="Vladimir Script" color=#000080
size=5>Rick

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Ken Close
  [mailto:closeks@xxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 10:01
  AMTo: AmiBroker ListSubject: [amibroker] FW: Drawdown
  from EntryOriginal message seems to have not gotten
  thru....sorry if thisduplicates later...need some
  comments...Ken-----Original Message-----From: Ken Close
  [mailto:closeks@xxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 9:14 AMTo:
  AmiBroker List (amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)Subject: Drawdown from
  EntryAll:  I have gotten into a private discussion with someone
  and I wantedto see your reaction to the concept of DD from entry.  We
  always citethe MaxDD statistic as being the worse pain we might experience
  in anopen trade in the future.It has also been mentioned that
  entries are not as significant as exits.If you believe a system is
  EXCELLENT in choosing entries, then thepostulate is that drawdown from
  starting trade equity is a useful, evennecessary, statistic to gather to
  monitor the ongoing success of asystem.Note that I am not talking
  about drawdown from absolute starting accountequity, but drawdown of the
  trade equity committed to the trade.  If thesystem catches trends
  (agree that these have been less consistentrecently), then the DD from
  starting trade equity is and will be quitelow, or at least it should be if
  the system delivers such performance.Further, this parameter assumes a
  differentiation in psychology: to wit:equity drawdowns from levels that
  represent positive returns are lessimpactful on psyche that "going
  underwater", ie, having absolutedrawdowns from entry (out of pocket paper
  losses).  If I gain 25% on aposition and it retraces 50%, then I have
  a Maxdd on the trade of 50%,but I am still ahead 12.5% in terms of my
  entry.  Doesn't this affect medifferently than having a 10% drawdown
  right from the beginning of thetrade?  Sure it does.I would
  appreciate some comments on this way of looking at a
  systemcharacterization.Thanks,KenSend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.