[amibroker] Re: TESTING THE UNIVERSE ?

Hi AL, (and everyone else)

Great thread so far. Thanks for all the replies.

Al, does your definition perhaps describe the perfect
sideway's market ? Lots of steady price moves but no
great change in overall volatility?

Your comment touches the real reason why I posted
"TESTING the UNIVERSE" in the first place.
If it is possible to somehow isolate and catagorize
stock personalities or efficiencies, then this is an
area where we could really benifit.
(I realize this is easier said than done).
On the subject of efficiency, your definition does
match earlier ones that I have seen.
Volatility is the tricky one.
A stock's 1 month volatilty may look low, but that same
stock may have a very high volatility when looked at
over 1 year. (I know I'm stating the obvious) So, when
trying to define "personality" a timeframe must be considered.
I try to use at lease 1 year of data to judge a personality.
Anything less may be non-repeatable. Due to evolution and
company changes in size/volume/growth over time, anything
more than 3 years may also be useless.
Back to efficency for a moment....
This could be a very usefull filter.
In an attempt to design one in the past, I sent a question
to S&C magazine (it's in the Nov. 2002 issue) Titled
"Volatility Defined". They did not provide a satisfactory
answer to my question.

You see, it's possible to have...
A)a very high Average True Range (ATR) value
  while a stock moves in a FLAT mode.
  (What I call "price Volatility")

B)it's possible to have a very low ATR and have the stock
make huge gains/drops over a given period.
(What I call "Overal Market Volatility")

Both describe high volatility, but are quite diferent??
(If you happen to have the magazine, it shows exteme
 example in charts. I'll try to fine .jpg copies)

One may suit a particular trading system more than another.

Here's the end....finally  :-0 (Yawning)

I think "personality definition" is a small niche that would
help some trading systems to define better targets.
If anyone has more suggestions on this subject, please
post them.
By the way, this is as far as any other discussion got on
personality definition, then they stopped. It's possible that
there is no more than this. That perhaps, I'm suggesting
the catagorization of randomness ? Soemtimes, my philosophical
musings are killed by the pure, cold reality of math and chaos.

Cheers,
Gosub283

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:
> Gosub,
>
> If I may butt in for just a moment. An "efficient" stock in my mind
is one that participates in large price moves with very little
concurrent movement in its volatility. It's not necessarily a low
volatility stock; it's the fact that the change in price of a stock
over a certain period is disproportionately higher than its
corresponding change in volatility.

amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >   --------------------------------------------
>   >   Check group FAQ at:
>   >
>   >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>   Service.
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>

>   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
Service.

FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/GHeqlB/TM