[amibroker] Re: How to Backup Indicator Builder Formulas

<<As for backing up, there are a zillion ways to handle this. I would
get something like xxcopy (it's free)...>>

Yuki,

I purchased a neat backup product called SecondCopy for scheduled
backup of specified files to a CD, and have included the AmiBroker AFL
subdirectory in the weekly backup procedure. So it is not a matter of
which backup software to use, but rather to know what file(s) are used
to store the IB formulas so that I can maintain a backup of those
formulas (including the ones shipped with AB along with new indicators
that I add periodically).

It would be a waste to backup the entire Amibroker sub-directory since
I can un-install and download the latest version of Amibroker from
TJ's website anytime I might need it. Rather, I need to be able to
maintain an archive of the formulas shipped with the product along
with my own indicator formula development efforts.

So what I really need to know is where are the IB formulas stored so
that I can back them up and be able to manage them when unintended
boo-boo's occur.

But I will take your advice and add a new blank indicator at the top
of my list to try to preclude the problem in the future.

Thanks... Phsst

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Yuki Taga <yukitaga@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi Phsst,
>
> Thursday, February 27, 2003, 11:40:49 AM, you wrote:
>
> Ppyc> More than once, I have inadvertantly overwritten indicator
formulas
> Ppyc> that was shipped with Amibroker with my own work-in-progress
formulas
> Ppyc> (even the built-in ones).
>
> Ppyc> Don't know how I did it, but since I've done it more than once
I must
> Ppyc> assume that I am going to do it again.
>
> Ppyc> So the question is...
>
> Ppyc> 1) How can I refresh my Indicator Builder formula list with the
> Ppyc> certified list that ships with Amibroker.
>
> Ppyc> 2) How can I backup my Indicator Builder formula list, database or
> Ppyc> file so that I can manage it in the future.
>
> Ppyc> Anyone know?
>
> I'm glad someone else is having this problem, too.  The problem is,
> whenever you open Indicator Builder, whatever indicator is at the top
> of the list is automatically loaded into the builder, and ready to be
> accidentally overwritten or mangled in some way.  You can get the
> custom indicators shipped with AB back, I'm sure.  But if one of your
> own carefully constructed indicators is at the top of the list, it is
> vulnerable.
>
> I would really love it if when IB was opened, a new, blank indicator
> was always loaded -- maybe have a permanent blank in the top
> position, one that could not be used. But the good news is that you
> can do this yourself (except you can use it), and it's what I do now.
> Click 'Add', and a new blank indicator will appear at the top of your
> custom list. This blank will remain at the top of the list, and be
> loaded every time you open AB and then IB, and you won't accidently
> overwrite anything there because there is nothing there. Just
> remember than when you finally put code there and rename it, you'll
> want to add another blank again as the first-position placeholder.
>
> When you chose a "live" indicator, and it's displayed in the IB
> window, you just have to be darn careful what you are doing.  I don't
> know if there is any plan, or even any possibility, of giving those
> indicators some level of accidental overwrite protection in the
> future or not.  Would be nice if it was doable.
>
> As for backing up, there are a zillion ways to handle this.  I would
> get something like xxcopy (it's free) and simply write a batch file
> cloning your amibroker directory tree.  (Command would be xxcopy
> "C:\amibroker\" "D:\SomeTempPlace\" /CLONE /YY -- assuming that is
> where amibroker lives, otherwise change) Hang that from a shortcut on
> a Quick Launch toolbar, for example, and bang, you have backed up
> your entire amibroker tree to another location, safe while you muck
> around with the real one.  I do partition images for real backup, but
> for intermediate safety, it's hard to beat a quick fix relocator like
> xxcopy.  Blazingly fast.  Much faster, and much more flexible, than
> MS's xcopy.
>
> Best,
>
> Yuki
>
> mailto:yukitaga@x...

New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/GHeqlB/TM