Re: [amibroker] How to Backup Indicator Builder Formulas

Hi Phsst,

Ppyc> More than once, I have inadvertantly overwritten indicator formulas
Ppyc> that was shipped with Amibroker with my own work-in-progress formulas
Ppyc> (even the built-in ones).

Ppyc> Don't know how I did it, but since I've done it more than once I must
Ppyc> assume that I am going to do it again.

Ppyc> So the question is...

Ppyc> 1) How can I refresh my Indicator Builder formula list with the
Ppyc> certified list that ships with Amibroker.

Ppyc> 2) How can I backup my Indicator Builder formula list, database or
Ppyc> file so that I can manage it in the future.

Ppyc> Anyone know?

I'm glad someone else is having this problem, too.  The problem is,
whenever you open Indicator Builder, whatever indicator is at the top
of the list is automatically loaded into the builder, and ready to be
accidentally overwritten or mangled in some way.  You can get the
custom indicators shipped with AB back, I'm sure.  But if one of your
own carefully constructed indicators is at the top of the list, it is
vulnerable.

I would really love it if when IB was opened, a new, blank indicator
was always loaded -- maybe have a permanent blank in the top
position, one that could not be used. But the good news is that you
can do this yourself (except you can use it), and it's what I do now.
Click 'Add', and a new blank indicator will appear at the top of your
custom list. This blank will remain at the top of the list, and be
loaded every time you open AB and then IB, and you won't accidently
overwrite anything there because there is nothing there. Just
remember than when you finally put code there and rename it, you'll
want to add another blank again as the first-position placeholder.

When you chose a "live" indicator, and it's displayed in the IB
window, you just have to be darn careful what you are doing.  I don't
know if there is any plan, or even any possibility, of giving those
indicators some level of accidental overwrite protection in the
future or not.  Would be nice if it was doable.

As for backing up, there are a zillion ways to handle this.  I would
get something like xxcopy (it's free) and simply write a batch file
cloning your amibroker directory tree.  (Command would be xxcopy
"C:\amibroker\" "D:\SomeTempPlace\" /CLONE /YY -- assuming that is
where amibroker lives, otherwise change) Hang that from a shortcut on
a Quick Launch toolbar, for example, and bang, you have backed up
your entire amibroker tree to another location, safe while you muck
around with the real one.  I do partition images for real backup, but
for intermediate safety, it's hard to beat a quick fix relocator like
xxcopy.  Blazingly fast.  Much faster, and much more flexible, than
MS's xcopy.

Best,

Yuki

mailto:yukitaga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/GHeqlB/TM