Re: [amibroker] (beginner) setting up (ASX)

hey people,

thanks for all the info.  just a couple more
queries, the answers to these will no doubt be variable for each person's
preference, but i'm interested in opinions on this.

until i get up and running properly i willbe using
CoolTrader.Net data as i don't really need to pay hundreds of dollars for a
real-time connection at the moment and don't mind the manual method of
downloading the latest quotes.  that said, what format is AmiBroker going
to find most useful?  i have the option of AmiBroker, MetaStock, and Excel
format.  it would be reasonable to think that AmiBroker format would be the
optimal, though in my experience with computers has taught me that logic isn't
something i can count on.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of each
format?

at the moment i have set up a Data directory, and
under that i have directories with 10 year historic data for each of the
aforementioned formats.  i will be testing each one to werk out exactly
what the deal is with how this database system werks but i would appreciateyour
thoughts if there are any clear pro's/con's for anything in
particular.

also, are there any tutorials around for setting up
options data?  given the variable nature of the naming convention it seems
i may be advised to set up a separate database specifically, or is it feasible
to have them integrated within the rest of the quote data?

one more thing... i have heard mention
of AmiQuote.  for the short term i'm happy with a manual system but
surely will tire of that eventually.  with regard to the ticker lists and
stuff, is it essential to nominate each stock that you wish to be
imported?  is it primarily designed for someone who has a specific few
companies that they follow and not necessarily for someone who just wants
everything?  (oh, and as a side note, am i wasting my time/resources having
ALL data laying around considering I more than likely won't be trading anything
but basic popular stocks for some time?)

thanks everyone, i only hope that oneday ican help
others out too.

ash