>From:
ash

To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxx
href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] (beginner)
setting up (ASX)
<FONT
size=2>
hey people,

thanks for all the info.  just a couple more
queries, the answers to these will no doubt be variable for each person's
preference, but i'm interested in opinions on this.

until i get up and running properly i will be
using CoolTrader.Net data as i don't really need to pay hundreds of dollars
for a real-time connection at the moment and don't mind the manual methodof
downloading the latest quotes.  that said, what format is AmiBroker going
to find most useful?  i have the option of AmiBroker, MetaStock, and
Excel format.  it would be reasonable to think that AmiBroker format
would be the optimal, though in my experience with computers has taught me
that logic isn't something i can count on.  What are the
advantages/disadvantages of each format?

If you are referring to data available from
CoolTrader.net - it does not matter if you choose AmiBroker or Metastock
format simply because those data files
are all PLAIN ASCII files. So called Metastock
files are in fact ASCII files stored in .PRN format that is acceptable
by Equis Downloader.
AmiBroker's ASCII importer is flexible enough
to handle any ASCII format so whatever you choose will be fine.

at the moment i have set up a Data directory, and
under that i have directories with 10 year historic data for each of the
aforementioned formats.  i will be testing each one to werk out exactly
what the deal is with how this database system werks but i would appreciate
your thoughts if there are any clear pro's/con's for anything in
particular.

As I wrote using Import Wizard you can define
and use any ASCII format.

also, are there any tutorials around forsetting
up options data?  given the variable nature of the naming conventionit
seems i may be advised to set up a separate database specifically, or is it
feasible to have them integrated within the rest of the quote
data?

Well it is up to you - you can store all
symbols in single database, you can also have separate databases for options.
Please check out all articles in the Tutorial section of the User's Guidefor
more info.

one more thing... i have heard mention
of AmiQuote.  for the short term i'm happy with a manual systembut
surely will tire of that eventually.  with regard to the ticker lists and
stuff, is it essential to nominate each stock that you wish to be
imported?  is it primarily designed for someone who has a specific few
companies that they follow and not necessarily for someone who just wants
everything?  (oh, and as a side note, am i wasting my time/resources
having ALL data laying around considering I more than likely won't be trading
anything but basic popular stocks for some time?)
With AmiQuote you can download
as many symbols as you wish, but indeed you would need a
ticker list. Note that Yahoo uses .AX suffix for Australian stocks, so
you would need to add it to regular ASX tickers. You don't needto
do this manually - you can use a script for that .
See: <A
href="">http://www.amibroker.net/boards/viewtopic.php?t=274

thanks everyone, i only hope that onedayi can
help others out too.

You can also write directly to <A
href="">support@xxxx or <A
href="">tj@xxxx

Best regards,Tomasz Janeczkoamibroker.com