From: Herman van den Bergen [mailto:psytek@x...]
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 12:17 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [amibroker] StoRSI

Hi dingo,

There are two simple ways to verify that you did not over-optimize your
system:

1) I always chart each parameter I optimize to see if the parameter has
pattern, ie changes in some predictable fashion wrt another parameter
(don't
only plot parameters vs equity, analyze relationships between other
parameters as well). If I can i will plot two optimized parameters at
the
same time on a 3D plot. If I optimize 3 parameters I make one 3D chart
for
each value of the parameter with the smallest range - yes you get dozens
of
charts but you may start to see very interesting patterns! If you get
lots
of random peaks and you cannot see any kind of normal distribution you
have
probably over-optimized. Too many people think designing a trading
system is
simple...you should document it like a business plan - after all you
will
risk similar sums of money with it.

2) I always reserve a fair bit of data for out of sample testing. I
develop
may systems on data before 1/1/01 and test it out of sample on data
after
that date. I never adjust parameters to make it perform better in the
OOS
data. If it doesn't work i start from scratch, something i have done
hundreds of not thousands, of times. Ideally your equity curve shouldn't
show a ripple when you change data.

Not everybody believes in these two approaches because they think or
assume
it is impossible to get "perfect" out-of-sample performance for systems
developed on data from 2-10 years ago. But it is possible, for the QQQ
and
for many other stocks.

Good luck,
Herman.