Need help: some strange database problems

Hello Tomasz and others,

I am new to Amibroker. Having discovered it quite recently, I am just
trying it out. I have been using Quote Plus2 for some time, but would
like to permanently switch to Amibroker as it is much more
powerful than QP2. To do so, I first need to figure out how to set up
and keep my own database and by that I mean a database that would not
be using QP2 as an external data source. I have been having some
problems setting up an independent database, so I would appreciate
your help in this matter.

So here we go, here are my problems.

I have 3 directories each of them hosting some database. The first
directory was originally supplied with Amibroker and is called Data.
It is no longer up-to-date and contains only the DJI stocks. When
connecting the external QP2 database, I created a new folder called
NewData. This database is the most current one and gets updated
whenever I update QP2 data. I can easily switch between them. So far
so good. However, I also created one more directory, called
MyNewData, that was meant to be independent of the other two. I can
download to it DJI stock historical data from Yahoo (even dating back
10 or so years, much more than provided by QP2 database) and other
stock data as well, but whenever I switch to the other two databases
and then switch back to MyNewData, I cannot retrieve MyNewData
database. It's just gone, no stock data can be displayed. Now, I am
suspecting that this might be because I am using a non-registered
version which does not allow for saving databases, but I am not sure
if this is really the case, so I would like some explanation in this
matter. If this is indeed because of that, I would like to know if
the registered version saves a database automatically or if I have to
do this from the File menu. Just curious.

Another thing is, that in the process of playing with databases, I
created too many of them and the paths to them are still on my File
menu, in the next to the bottom section of this menu. I would like to
get rid off of some of these paths. Is there any way to do this? If
not, it would be good to have a way to do this in the next version of
the software. I guess, that should be possible. That's a small thing,
of course, but I just like to keep things clean because whenever I
click on these redundant paths, a new database folder structure is
created in the folders the paths led to, even if the folders
themselves have already been deleted, which obviously creates some
mess.

Well, here is one more problem that I got just when I was writing
this. I wanted to recreate my plug-in connection to QP2 in NewData
directory and guess what? It does not work. When I start Amibroker, I
get no tree structure in the workspace, not even folders. Unlike
before. When I choose the NewData path from the File menu, I get the
folders in the workspace, but no ticker tree. Again, not as before.
The database settings seem fine, as before, in particular the source
is the QP2 data Plug-in, but I am not getting what I was getting
before unless I set up the plug-in again. Or, I can get what I want
in MyNewData database by switching the data source from default to
the QP2 data Plug-in, but that's not the point. The point is that now
my NewData database with QP2 data does not load at all. Not when I
start the software up, not even later when clicking on the NewData
path, not at all, unless, as I said, I set it up anew! If I could do
it before (several weeks before when I first set up the plug-in) with
no sweat whatsoever, how come that I can't do it again? Have any
changes been made in the latest beta upgrade that prevent me from
doing so?

I am now using 3.99beta version and when I first connected to the QP2
plug-in, I was using the latest non-beta version. I guess it was
3.92. I have not changed anything in that plug-in connection until
just now.

I plan to buy Amibroker sooner or later, but first I would like
to know how to use it with my own Yahoo supplied database and how to
avoid the problems I just elaborated on. I am completely buffled by
them.

If anyone else was having similar problems, I would also appreciate
hearing from you.

Sorry for a lengthy post, but I thought it was necessary to mention
all the details so that the problem can be easier to recognize.

Thanks and greetings from Hollywood,
netbull2000