RE: [amibroker] To all AmiBroker users - Questions

As a
long time user of MS and new user of AB, here are some personal opinions that
may help you in your choice.
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
MS
is a very good software to display and visually analyse stocks. For the moment,
AB is a little bit behind MS regarding the quality of the interface. But AB
chart engine will be totally rewritten in the near future and will probablyfill
the gap.
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
If
you want to write your own indicators and build your own trading systems,
AB is like milk and honey while MS is a bitter stuff. With AB, you cando
whatever you want. There is only 2 limitations: your imagination and your
ability to develop. AB language is quite close to MS one (so that it is very
easy to translate MS formulas to AB) with a lot of improvements. Furthermore,
limitations in AB language can be overcome as you can include JScript or
VBScript pieces of code inside your AB code. For instance, it will allow you to
create complex calculations involving control loops.
For
skilled programers, it is possible to create dll in C++ language that can be
called from AB (you can do the same with MS if you buy a developper kit andare
clever enough to understand how to access to the data
files!!!).
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>Among the infinity of things that you can do easily with AB and that will
bring you endless headaches with MS, here are some:
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>total control of your trades (entry/exit at stop prices, entry/exit on
the same bar, totally programmable stops,...)
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>backtest of a system on a whole database at the speed of light (with
MS, you have to test securities one by one)
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>creation of complex composite securities (with a few lines of
code, you can build the historical curve of the number of oversold/overbought
stocks in a specific market or see on how many open positions your trading
system is invested,...)
and so many others !!!
In
terms of support, you just need to know that:
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>there are more improvements in AB in one single week than in 5
years of MS new releases
AB
developers are in permanent contact with the users through this mailing list,
providing a fantastic support and including in "real time" the users
suggestions in the new releases
you
are supported by all AB users who exchange ideas, pieces of code, answer your
questions, help you to debug your formulas,... if you have a problem, just
mention it and in less than 2 hours, AB developpers or users will provideyou
with the solution
and
so many others !!!
As
you can see, I am a fan of AB. It is the charting software I was dreaming for
years.
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>Waz
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: mroman59
[mailto:mroman59@xxxx]Sent: mardi 23 avril 2002
00:52To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
To all AmiBroker users - QuestionsI have just found
advertisement for AmiBroker and I am trying to figure out if the program
will meet my needs. I must say for the price it appears impressive, but I
would like some imput from users.It appears that it is free download for
trial period, so I will do this and try to get a feel for what the program
can do.1. Has anyone used MetaStock and if so can you give me your
opinion on the similarities, pros and cons, capabilities etc. of the two
programs? I am looking into purchasing MetaStock but it is a bit pricy
and data download by 2nd party is costly.2. My main interest is to be
able to screen stocks based on my onw price and volume criteria. For
example, stocks with 3 consecutive increases in combination with double
its  3 month avg volume for any given period of time or 13 dma >
30 dma etc. No fundamental data will be required but is a plus. Can it do
this?3. After stocks are screened according to my criteria, then have
the ability to back test all screened stocks and rank them by greatest
return. Can it do this.4. Can one trade through the program,
granted that the brokerage firm allows for such a link between the program
and their server?5. Is the download of data from Yahoo seamless and
free from Yahoo? 6. Can one download historical data from yahoo for
stocks so that backtesting can be performed?7. Does Amibroker
generate automatic buy and sell signals with built in technical analysis
indicators, like other programs do such as omnitrader? 8. has
anyone tried to program Amibroker to use the formulas provided by thebook
called Beating the Trend? You can find it by performing a website
search.  If so, how easy was it to program according to this
formula.9. What does Amibroker have in to do with the following
advertisement: -rewritten database handling: abstract data access
layer allowing direct access to QP2/TC2000/Metastock databases without the
need to import (3.84+)-pre-written direct data feed DLLs from Quotes
Plus (3.84+), TC2000, Metastock databases (3.87+) - a "summary-only"
mode in the backtester providing 2-3 times faster backtesting of large
databases (3.87+).- support for money management (position sizing) in
backtester/optimizer (3.90)My question again, I thought that data
feed was free from Yahoo?10. Is it true that the cost is only $79,
after trial date is up? There appears to be upgrades in the works i.e.
AmiBroker 4.0 versions. How much does it cost for upgrade
versions?Thank You for and information you can provide. I greatly
appreciate your imput and mention about other applications that you have
used.Your
href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.