RE: [amibroker] To all AmiBroker users - Questions

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff
size=2>An interesting observation:  The Metastock forum
although around longer, seems to be declining in posts.  Only 3 posts were
made to the Metastock forum this past 12 hours compared to 33 for
Amibroker.

<FONT face="Vladimir Script" color=#000080
size=5>Rick

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Listes trading
[mailto:listes.trading@xxxx]Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 7:09
AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
To all AmiBroker users - Questions
As
a long time user of MS and new user of AB, here are some personal opinions
that may help you in your choice.
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
MS
is a very good software to display and visually analyse stocks. For the
moment, AB is a little bit behind MS regarding the quality of the interface.
But AB chart engine will be totally rewritten in the near future and will
probably fill the gap.
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
If
you want to write your own indicators and build your own trading systems,
AB is like milk and honey while MS is a bitter stuff. With AB, you can do
whatever you want. There is only 2 limitations: your imagination and your
ability to develop. AB language is quite close to MS one (so that it is very
easy to translate MS formulas to AB) with a lot of improvements. Furthermore,
limitations in AB language can be overcome as you can include JScript or
VBScript pieces of code inside your AB code. For instance, it will allow you
to create complex calculations involving control loops.
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>For skilled programers, it is possible to create dll in C++ language
that can be called from AB (you can do the same with MS if you buy a
developper kit and are clever enough to understand how to access to the data
files!!!).
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>Among the infinity of things that you can do easily with AB and that
will bring you endless headaches with MS, here are some:
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>total control of your trades (entry/exit at stop prices, entry/exit
on the same bar, totally programmable stops,...)
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>backtest of a system on a whole database at the speed of light(with
MS, you have to test securities one by one)
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>creation of complex composite securities (with a few lines of
code, you can build the historical curve of the number of
oversold/overbought stocks in a specific market or see on how many open
positions your trading system is invested,...)
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>... and so many others !!!
In
terms of support, you just need to know that:
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>there are more improvements in AB in one single week thanin 5
years of MS new releases
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>AB developers are in permanent contact with the users through this
mailing list, providing a fantastic support and including in "real time" the
users suggestions in the new releases
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>you are supported by all AB users who exchange ideas, pieces of code,
answer your questions, help you to debug your formulas,... if you have a
problem, just mention it and in less than 2 hours, AB developpers or users
will provide you with the solution
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>and so many others !!!
As
you can see, I am a fan of AB. It is the charting software I was dreamingfor
years.
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>Waz
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>
<FONT face=Verdana color=#800000
size=2>

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: mroman59
[mailto:mroman59@xxxx]Sent: mardi 23 avril 2002
00:52To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
To all AmiBroker users - QuestionsI have just found
advertisement for AmiBroker and I am trying to figure out if the program
will meet my needs. I must say for the price it appears impressive,but
I would like some imput from users.It appears that it is free download
for trial period, so I will do this and try to get a feel for what the
program can do.1. Has anyone used MetaStock and if so can you give
me your opinion on the similarities, pros and cons, capabilities etc. of
the two programs? I am looking into purchasing MetaStock but it is a bit
pricy and data download by 2nd party is costly.2. My main
interest is to be able to screen stocks based on my onw price and volume
criteria. For example, stocks with 3 consecutive increases in
combination with double its  3 month avg volume for any given
period of time or 13 dma > 30 dma etc. No fundamental data will be
required but is a plus. Can it do this?3. After stocks are screened
according to my criteria, then have the ability to back test all
screened stocks and rank them by greatest return. Can it do
this.4. Can one trade through the program, granted that the
brokerage firm allows for such a link between the program and their
server?5. Is the download of data from Yahoo seamless and free from
Yahoo? 6. Can one download historical data from yahoo for stocks so
that backtesting can be performed?7. Does Amibroker generate
automatic buy and sell signals with built in technical analysis
indicators, like other programs do such as omnitrader? 8. has
anyone tried to program Amibroker to use the formulas provided by the
book called Beating the Trend? You can find it by performing a website
search.  If so, how easy was it to program according to this
formula.9. What does Amibroker have in to do with the following
advertisement: -rewritten database handling: abstract data access
layer allowing direct access to QP2/TC2000/Metastock databases without
the need to import (3.84+)-pre-written direct data feed DLLs from
Quotes Plus (3.84+), TC2000, Metastock databases (3.87+) - a
"summary-only" mode in the backtester providing 2-3 times faster
backtesting of large databases (3.87+).- support for money
management (position sizing) in backtester/optimizer (3.90)My
question again, I thought that data feed was free from Yahoo?10. Is
it true that the cost is only $79, after trial date is up? There appears
to be upgrades in the works i.e. AmiBroker 4.0 versions. How much does
it cost for upgrade versions?Thank You for and information you can
provide. I greatly appreciate your imput and mention about other
applications that you have used.Your
href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.
Your
href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.