Re: [amibroker] Re: Multiple Forum System- Give it a chance

Hi Lemanioc,

I guess the issue of email versus web-centric forums is really a case of
personal preference. You clearly prefer the web solution and I prefer
Egroups.

I took a quick look at vbulletin and have to say it looks just like many of
the other web-centric message boards. IMHO the pages are not concise - there
are too many repetetive non-essential details (e.g. user profile info) and
too few actual messages per page. I added my comments to your post in the
text below.

> I don't like yahoo groups because:
>
> 1) I don't like to receive Email or digest email. I have this feature
> disabled so its no use for me.
I would imagine most PC users view email as one of their basic essential
tools. I am curious as to why you don't like to receive emails - after all
it's quite easy to filter out the junk.

> 2) Its slow. It happens some page take 5 second to respond, even on
> my DSL on busy hours. Thats not the Internet lagging, but their
> hardware.
I guess you are referring to online browsing of messages on YahooGroups web
site. This is one of the downsides to web-centric lists. Just navigating
thru web pages and reading posts can be a frustratingly slow process on any
remote server on internet (not just Yahoo). Response times can always be
impacted by prevailing internet connection and load conditions. Bear in mind
also that many users still connect via dial-up pay as you go connections and
therefore want to minimise their time online.

> 3) Its really hard to to keep track of discussions.
Again I guess you are referring to online browsing of messages. When using
an email program it is very simple to arrange messages by subject,
originator, date .... whatever - so following discussions is quite easy.

> 4) There is no multiple forum
You can have as many different YahooGroups as you require.e.g. Beginners,
Advanced, Trading, AFL ...

> 5) Its kinda archaic and is suited for Pamela anderson fans, not for
> a sorftware community.
I thought Pamela Anderson was software :^)
My view would be Egroups are tried, tested , efficient and serve the
software community very well.

> Advantage of web based forum like the one stated above:
>
> 1) You can get Email notification when you get answer to YOUR posts.
But what about all the other posts? IMO most users by default want to read
all posts on the list to which they have subscribed. This is how they keep
in touch with current topics.

> 2) Posts you didn't read are marked and moved on top of the list
Just like email Inbox. Again with email you can flag and move messages just
as you want (via rules if you want to be clever).

> 3) Multiple forums and subforums.
You can have as many different Egroups as you require.

> 4) Powerfull search feature, by user name, subject, text
Email programs have all this so I believe has YahooGroups web site.

> 5)Easier to find and follow discussions
Again Email programs makes this very easy.

> 6) View new posts only if wished
Using Email you only receive new posts anyway.

> 7) Personal private message system
That's email isn't it? ;^)

> 8) Much more efficient for the webmaster to manage support questions,
> and close, open, move threads....
Support problems are usually emailed to a special support address reserved
for that purpose. With Egroups you don't need any webmaster performing admin
operations - the lists are effectively self maintained.

> On such forum like VB you can also have file attachement, calendar,
> poll postings, signature, profile where webmaster can ask user to
> specify Amibroker version, location and much more.....
Email & YahooGroups give you all these facilities.

> To anyone reading this message, lets give a chance to Tomasz web
> forum system. You won't regret it. If after 2 weeks of use you still
> don't like it, we could still come back to this list.
Hmmm.. . LeManioc you certainly sound confident that the users will be
impressed - I wish I shared your confidence.

Regards
John