Re: Damage Control and Copyright

--- In amibroker@xxxx, "Dr. S. Nathan Berger" <snberger@xxxx> wrote:
I have done a bad thing. One of our members has notified me I posted
the Risk Management program in violation of the publisher's
directive. Since this is already an un-erasable mistake, perhaps I
can atone by giving credit where it is due..... I can recommend them
highly to everyone- with your understanding that I do so only
as "repayment" for infringing on their copyrights. You can access
them at: https://www.rightline.net/subscribe/index.html
My apologies to them and everyone else.

*************
Dear Nate:

Thanks for posting the URL to rightline. It is an interesting site
with some ideas for risk management/damage control/stop loss. In my
reading, it suggests what is most important is not the 2% capital
preservation guideline but to have some well thought out rule and to
stick to that rule. For others interested this is the URL
http://www.rightline.net/education/managingrisk.html

I am more than disappointed that someone has suggested that copyright
prevents the free discussion of ideas in general, and in particular,
discussion of ideas contained in published, copyright articles. If
the information in the article was protected by a non-disclosure
agreement that you signed, then you could not share the information
with us. But copyright is not a non-disclosure agreement. Copyright
does not prevent you from sharing information; it just prevents you
from copying the author's words to do the sharing. Copyright law even
allows us to use short quotations (ie short copies) of the author's
words for purposes of discussion and comment. The article with the 2%
capital protection rule can hardly be considered a propriety, non-
disclosure material since the author/publisher has choosen to let the
public read it at the above URL without requiring the signing of a
non-disclosure agreement.

Although there are exceptions -- there has to be something for
lawyers to argue about -- the general principle of copyright is the
protection of the WORDS but not the information the words
communicate. Although some authors/publishers might not like to think
so, the purpose of copyright law is to promote progress in society
buy giving a few, restricted rights to authors/publishers and by
giving considerable rights to readers and society in general. By
restricting copying, copyright law gives authors the potential to
make some money (and this benefits society by encouraging people to
share their ideas with the public). By allowing the public to share
these ideas and discuss them, society benefits by accelerating the
creation of new ideas and the detection and correction of bad ones.
Copyright balances the rights of the author and society.

So let's not give in to those who seek to restrict free discussion of
ideas and information published in copyright material. If an author
wants to completely control sharing of their ideas they can do so by
forgoing publication and demanding signed non-disclosure contracts.
Society, through its copyright laws entices authors to publish (ie,
make public, see the connection of the two words) their ideas -- the
enticement is the potential profit from sale of copies. The act of
publishing (ie, making public) gives society the opportunity to share
and discuss the the ideas and information published as long as we use
our own words. Let's not give up the freedoms we have.