[amibroker] Meeting Users Needs

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 at 18:40:16, Tomasz Janeczko <amibroker@xxxx>
wrote about [amibroker] Re: Is it possible to create such a buy signal
?:
So there is still a need to help the newbies because otherwise
AmiBroker can not exist. I actually get paid from the new users since
AmiBroker is not subscription-based software.

I have seen time and again, in this and other groups, the frustration
of advanced users when yet another newbie comes along with questions
that have been asked a number of times before. And this is
understandable, certainly a test on the patience levels, and only the
very controlled can refrain from giving them a good blasting with the
keyboard :-)

However, it is (and always will be) the nature of the newbie to be keen
to learn and to ask questions. IMHO it would be wrong to immediately
rebuke them for an error of protocol that they have no awareness of.
And would do nothing to promote their interest, provide support,
encourage their participation in group discussions, or to further the
growth of AmiBroker.

In an attempt to address the issues under discussion I make a few
suggestions below.

Conclusions:
1. As mentioned above there are ways to minimize the traffic coming
into your mail box.

At the risk of stating the obvious, many (most?) mailers have a
filtering facility - by keywords in subject line, by from address etc.
However, with respect this may be too technical for some.

Could I suggest the possibility of opening another group(s) - newuser,
intermediate, advanced... whatever. Then filtering should be
semi-automatic as users can select which groups they wish to subscribe
to.

2. I need to write better docs

As you produce AmiBroker developments a lightning speed I think this
will always be the case. IIRC there are only 24hrs in a day :-)

Recommendation: Delegate out clearly defined sections of the docs to
named users/contributors who may have expertise with the section. They
submit their draft docs to you for editing and approval or not.
Editors/Publishers decision is final.

"AmiBroker - Developed for the user, with the user, and by the user."
<g>

3. People should have the way to ask questions in public (on the
mailing list or forum) - we    should just work out the best solution

I have to admit to preferring email. I can read at my leisure,
off-line, and copy/paste/save formulas and info as I go along.

I hope the above is helpful, and of course always open for discussion.

Peter

--
Peter Carr
Email: pcarr@xxxx ICQ: 22586379