data import

Craig Griffen has it right in his post. I am struggling to get
AmiBroker to do my job, more so than I ever had to do with MS or TS.

Several points:
I only use MS for quick and dirty studies as it does not have the
programming power to do most of my work. I am using V6.52 realtime
because all of the subsequent revisions have been mostly marketing
fluff.

Tradestation is my workhorse, yes its expensive, yes the support
sucks, yes it gets most of the job done. It has its limitations,
some of which are solved by AB.

I think AmiBroker is a terrific program. Otherwise I would not be
spending this much time poking around in all its capabilities to see
if they can help my trading. I have recommended it to several people
with the caveat it is a work in progress.

My apologies about the data import confusion and comments. This
morning I tested the MS data files and then imported them into AB
with no problem. I have no idea what went wrong when I tried it
yesterday and why it works today. AFAIK I have made no changes to any
aspect of the QP2 export, AB import process. Blame it on Bill
Gates...

As TJ noted, Indicator builder does not like to have two separate
symbols used in the same statement. So the "foreign" function cures
that problem. OK, much like specifing data1, data 2 in TS. Got it...

TJ, I was not complaining about the time it took for you to respond.
I understand that....

As for importing negative values you might want to rethink that
decision. Other un-named sw just turns off log scale if the data has
negative values.

AS for TS reading various external data files; yes it is convenient,
yes you incurr a 2X-3X speed penalty if you do that. Importing data
into the TS downloader solves that problem, but it is a very poorly
documented, clunky process.

The biggest problems that I struggle with are those areas of AB that
are quite different from other, older sw. These are the things that
need additional explanation and more examples to help out users
making the transistion from other products. It probably is easier
for a new user that never saw those other products. :-)

The ASCII Importer help files mentions assigning an alias to imported
data. That might be useful. You need some explanation/examples
there.

Bottom line, for all you people that have no problems with AB, I'll
try to turn down the volume a notch or two, but I still need to
maintain a dialog with the list to solve problems as they arise. If
other users have the answer to questions, feel free to post the
answer instead of relying on TJ to answer everything. Well, unless
you recognise it seems that only TJ can answer most of the
questions. :)

Stepping of the soapbox
Trader