Re: Comments on Backtesting

Dear Jim,
I was using backtesting as a counter.
May be it sounds peculiar, but follow the lines:
I wanted to know how many
macd crossovers occured yesterday.
After the
c1=cross(macd(),signal());
I was creating an artificial buy-sell
buy=c1>0;
sell=buy;
then scan for 10/7/2001 and, here is the point,
hitting "backtest", I had at the left bottom of Results:
Number of trades:37 ,
ie I knew that 37 crossovers occured.

Besides theories, if you have any suggestion to answer
this 37, please let me know.

Now, I multiplied my possibilities by 1000 (or more).
"Composites" give answer to above question, for the whole
data, (not a single day), in less than a second.
For me, as you understand, it is great.
But, this new tool does not diminishes the value of the previous
one. No way.
I use the same method now, to test some doubtful composites
results. A gentle tool is always valuable.

Best Regards
Dimitris Tsokakis