Re: Comments on Backtesting

Dear Jim,
I was informed by various authors that macd crossovers may
give a nice, low-profile trading system. You will never catch
highest high (macd is lagging, as you know), you will never
buy at lowest low (the lag again), but you will have some secure
profits, if you follow the system all the time and with discipline.
You can find similar suggestion everywhere.
I had some doubts.
So,I selected a blue chip, a bank, with excellent fundamentals etc.
and scanned with

buy=cross(macd(),signal());
sell=cross(signal(),macd());

buying and selling at close, the same day of crossover(a bit
impossible, you know the crossover occurence tomorrow, but this is
not the point), with 1% commission.
I hit backtest to see this "low profile but safe" gain.
The result, for a 19 months period, was a loss of -16,40% !!
O. K. we say "low", but it was very "low".
(I tested the result trade by trade.)
My doubts about this trading system, as you understand, increased.
If you know another way to be informed about this subject, except
backtesting, please let me know.

Best Regards
Dimitris Tsokakis