System Development Questions

Hi all:

I've been been monitoring the list for the last few months,
establishing my databases, and working on the AMI learning curve.
I've been trading US equities for about two years and AMI is the
first tool that I've used for backtesting. I have a decent grasp of
programming including AFL and Jscript and a reasonably good grasp of
technical analysis. But I'm finding developing a good system to be a
harder than expected task.

In general, I've found that the backtest results can vary greatly
depending on how these formulas are used. In fact of all the systems
that have been posted in the list over the last 6 mos. I've yet to
backtest ANY that give results close to that of BUY&HOLD when tested
on the stocks comprising the DJIA/NASDAQ100/SP500 US markets over the
last 10-20 years w/o even including the effect of stops and drawdowns.

I'd like to hear from the backtesting and system development
experts...

Should a system be developed and tested over an entire market or
tailored to fit an individual stock?

Should a system be developed to fit both bull and bear markets or
just the recent trading time period?

Should a system be able to beat the buy & hold results as AMI
calculates them or is this just a relative best-can-do benchmark?

Should a system be developed and tested with or without a STOP?

Should I just give up and buy a good indexed mutual fund? I hope
not! :-)

TJ, you mentioned earlier summarizing the system backtest results in
the library...

I'd like to suggest that the user community establish a standard that
these systems are backtested to for the purpose of including these
results in the AFL library. Here's some thoughts...

Standard US and/or non-US market.
->30DowStocks
->Other Non-US
Standard time frame to include all market types.
->1980-to-Present
->Other
Standard Entry/Exit
-Next Day Open
-Other
Standard results such as...
->Return
->Return vs. Buy/Hold
->Max Drawdown
->Win Rate
->Profit Factor
->Other

Finally, it was suggested earlier on the list that the Drawdown from
the Backtester Report is the entryprice-to-trough rather than the
peak-to-trough. Is this correct?

Thanks and best regards,
Jim