Buy & Hold

Hi Guys,

I just felt compelled to deliver my sixpence worth of comment on the Buy and
Hold issue.

Firstly every different system delivers a different Buy & Hold performance
and if I had to choose between the following the choice is obvious.
1. B&H return over 5 years = 700% - System return = 250%.
2. B&H return over 5 years = 100% - System return = 150%.

Secondly I don't have enough money to hold an equal amount per stock over a
period of 5 years in any substantial volumes. This could be eliminated by
buying into mutual funds I agree, but what are the chances of the next 5
years being the same as the previous 5. Many market analysts swear by cycle
trends, which in some ways are true, but measuring these with any long term
precision would have made the whole world rich by now.

Thirdly Ami doesn't support any interest calculation in Automatic Analysis
which would even out the playing field a bit more, but then again dividends
for the B&H scenario would have changed the picture back into B&H's favour
again.

The best systems I have written and other well known systems I have tested
on the Dow Jones and Nasdaq100 combined, could not beat the B&H scenario for
the past 5 years.

Investment objectives play a major role in deciding how you will invest. If
you are willing to leave your money on the market for long enough (10 to 20
years) in blue chip stocks you will earn excellent returns without the
hassle of trading on a frequent basis.

To be totally honest and with all due respect to TJ the B&H figures in the
AA testing is worthless to me as it changes with every system you test. The
best way to measure your system on a B&H scale is to assign a index value to
the all the stocks you are testing from the start date of testing and last
day of testing. You can't make any meaningful comparison in the long term
with something that is always relative to itself. This being the reason that
RSI is an excellent indicator in a system, but quite useless on its own.

Most Mutual funds are driven by Fundamentals and not technical analysis,
although I am a firm believer that fundamentals and sentiment are already
built into stock prices to some extent and fundamentals consists of even
more guess work than technicals. Psychology = fundamentals as the technology
we have for media through the IT industry have levelled the playing field
for all parties concerned and it is impossible to profit on any news
announcement in the short term as the price would already reflect the
reasonable expectation.

I could keep you guys busy for weeks on this subject, but you probably know
this already.

Regards.

Jaco Jonker