Re: [amibroker] AFL's

On Sun, 6 May 2001 at 10:43:46, Geoff Mulhall <gmulhall@xxxx>
wrote about [amibroker] AFL's:

I also think this is a great idea and am very willing to contribute.
Need to ensure the database in indexed and searchable please Tomasz.
Also those contributing fully document their AFL's.

The idea (subscription AFLs) sounds great to me also. However, a few
queries come to mind:

Are subscription AFLs to be exclusively Systems only?
The level of complexity of the AFLs
Would a classification be beneficial? - eg Basic, Intermediate, Advanced
Is it envisaged that all AFL be subject to subscription? Or will this
list remain for Basic/Intermediate AFL postings?
The format, structure and requirements for documentation
The degree of explanation of the system for 'learners' to understand how
the programming concepts have been arrived at.

My programming skills with AFL are at an early stage, though I have
dabbled with Basic programming and some C coding over the years.
Writing complex systems is currently beyond me. Though I would find it
very helpful to see how others have achieved their criteria/objectives
using AFL.

With reference to comments elsewhere regarding 'protecting ones own
system' versus the benefits of 'sharing'. For my part, I have no
desire to use and benefit from someone else's system and hard graft for
(supposed?) quick and easy financial gain. I would learn nothing. One
of the pleasures/enjoyment I get from AmiBroker and AFL is to see how
skilled programmers have been able to apply AFL to their technical
analysis requirements. I would far rather prefer to design and test my
own system, though I undoubtedly will need to call on the expertise that
has gone before in order to do so successfully.

So, in an attempt to respect both 'protection of copyright' and
'sharing', could I suggest that snippets of code (ie without publishing
the whole system) be made available with clear explanations of how and
why AFL functions have been utilised. Thus preserving the right of
ownership while at the same time sharing ones knowledge and expertise.

Peter
--
Peter Carr
Email: pcarr@xxxx ICQ: 22586379