Re: [amibroker] Beginner questions

Hello,

Welcome to AmiBroker mailing list.

> 1. I can import quotes easily by using data from both yahoo and
> downloadquotes.com. I have downloaded from yahoo the data for the
> NYSE and NASDAQ going back 20 years. My initial thought is to import
> all of the stocks (all 9000-some), and then each evening I can easily
> import the day's fresh data from downloadquotes.com. However, when I
> tried to import the NASDAQ stock data from yahoo (*.AQH files),
> AmiBroker only imported the first half (approximately), from the A's
> to the I's. This made me wonder: is there a limit to the number of
> stocks which can be imported at once? In preferences, I selected
> to "load quote data when I choose to do so" in order to speed initial

There is no built-in limit on number of stocks that you can have in your
database. All you really need is enough swap space on your hard disk.
On the other hand I would advise to split your database by exchange
(Nyse, Nasdaq, Amex) so you have about 5000-6000 stocks per database.
This will generally speed up the whole operation of AmiBroker.

> 2. Is there a convenient way to import the stocks into the correct
> Market folder (Nasdaq or NYSE) ?
All you have to do is initially put the stocks into correct market
(using Stock->Assignment organizer for example).
Also possible is assigning using JScript (as described in newsletter)
Once you do this, all your consecutive imports will use this arrangement.

> 3. I imported the NASDAQ composite index ^IXIC, and was able to
> organize it into the NASDAQ market folder. How can I add it to the
> Indices folder ?
Just go to Stock->Information and check "Index" box.

> 4. Is there a way to startup AmiBroker with the All folder collapsed,
> and not expanded, through the preferences?
Yes, just add at least one stock to Favourites (Stock->Information window
check "favourite" box). From now on AmiBroker will expand only favourites folder.

> 5. I would like to duplicate stocks across Group folders. Right now
> when I organize stocks, AmiBroker indicates that I can "copy" the
> stock from Group N to Group M. However, it actually performs
> a "move" operation. Is there a way to have two distinct Group
> folders, each containing some of the same stocks?
No, currently stock can be assigned to one group only (this may change in the future)

> 6. A charting tools question: after drawing a trendline, is there a
> way to measure the angle it makes with the horizontal (without having
> to print and find my protractor :)

There is no such feature currently, but may be implemented in the future.

> I am sorry to make my introduction to the list so lengthy with these
> questions.
No problem, you are welcome.

> I am hoping to draw on everyone's experience here, and
> would like to ask one final question:
> 7. I am reading all the support documents and newsletter tips on the
> AmiBroker website, in addition to the included Help information.
> Does anyone suggest additional sources, such as tutorials, that I may
> read to get familiar with AmiBroker?
I am working constantly on improving docs and will post new things
as soon as they are available. In case of problems you can always
ask on this list.

> Thank you very much for any advice you can offer. So far I am really
> impressed by AmiBroker. I am just now starting to learn about
> technical analysis methods and charting methods.
Thank you for using AmiBroker.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko