Re: Stochastic Indicator

--- In amibroker@xxxx, tpresley@xxxx wrote:
> My first impression of amibroker was I thought it might do what I
> wanted.
> I immediately noticed the Amibroker Stochastic Slow indicator is
> not quite the same as other programs, or web based chart programs,

I too have just installed amibroker. Very useful & fast for
back-testing - faster than my old spreadsheet macro methods.

I too (!) was puzzled about the implementation of Stochastics
(and indeed MACD etc). I use Stochastics in a mix with MACD,
along with 5 other indicators, 1 own, in varying weights.

All my software uses the following format.
o 3 vars for Stochastics:
>>> Period/SK-Period/SD-Period + Exponential smoothing (usually)
o 3 vars for MACD:
>>> Short/Long/Period + Exponential smoothing (usually)

My system is actually critically dependent on the internal
operation of those indicators, not just types of indicator
chose and their wtings overall. The defaults for Stochastic
in particular are way off the mark for many equities. You
rarely have an indicator/default that works for every stock,
and trying to achieve it will just result in mediocre returns
or rather a screen full of mud rather than clarity which a
system is hopefully going to give. Evidently that idea was
lost on most of the tax systems of the planet I guess.

Q: Does anyone have any tips on implementing such a
3-variable Stochastic (with EMA, that looks easy).

I'm not versed even in the mathematical derivation of
Stochastics, just in years of their use & optimising.
Never have I seen a tool so useful as this, in the old
days it was manual paper blind testing... T.E.D.I.O.U.S.

Many thanks.
(Actually once cracked this program will gain a big boost
in the flexibility of its technical indicators - and that
will result in better optimisation to each equity & profit.
It has everything else to shame many hi-$ subscription pkgs).

PS: Is there a help file of the language library/syntax?