Re: [amibroker] Re: Stochastic Indicator

I too (!) was puzzled about the implementation of Stochastics
(and indeed MACD etc). I use Stochastics in a mix with MACD,
along with 5 other indicators, 1 own, in varying weights.

Hi Dorothy,

I wouldn't say it's easy. If I wasn't a programmer, this would have likely
prevented me from using Amibroker, but here's how I handled the Stochastics
(you're on your own with MACD):

Click Analysis-Indicator Builder

At this point you have a list of sample? indicators. Oddly you can only
modify the existing indicators, not add a new one, so pick one. Copy and
paste this:

per=12;
sm=5;
graph0color=16;
graph0=ema(100*((close-llv(low, per))/(hhv(high,per)-llv(low,per))),sm);

The first two vars you can modify. This produces a single stochastic line.
I personally never found the second line very handy, but this should get
you started. Best thing to do is compare it to your known good stochastics
from another program.

You can change the ema to ma if you don't want exponential smoothing (I
prefer plain old ma)

You can rename the indicator in the list. You'll probably want to hit
custom scaling 0-min 100-max and grid lines: limits, 50, +20/80

I doubt anyone will ever accuse amibroker of being too easy to use or
understand :-) Oh and the function reference is in help, Press F1, then
AmiBroker Formula Language (AFL)

Good luck
Tom P