Re: [amibroker] Stochastic Indicator

Hello Tom,

Thank you for trying AmiBroker.

> From: <tpresley@xxxx>
> My first impression of amibroker was I thought it might do what I
> wanted.
>
> I use the Stochastic, RSI, and MACD indicators (in order of
> importance) in my personal stock system. I immediately noticed the
> Amibroker Stochastic Slow indicator is not quite the same as other
> programs, or web based chart programs, such as www.stockcharts.com,
> which is where I have been doing most of my work. I need confidence
> in my Stochastic, so I tried to figure out why there was a difference.
>
> It seems the built in function stochk and stochd include a smoothing
> function. I'm not sure what function it uses, but it is very close
> but not exactly the same as a 3 day EMA.
As I already wrote in another e-mail sent directly to AmiBroker uses
additional 3-bar smoothing for Stochastic Slow. The smoothing is so called
Wilders-smoothing very similar to exponential but not the same.

> Anyway, as stochastic is my primary indicator, I decided the only
> thing to do (if I was to continue using Amibroker) was try to make my
> own stochastic indicator, and I succeeded.
I am glad to hear that.

> This is the basic stochastic, or the %k line on a fast stochastic (14
> is the period). This exactly matches other programs fast stochastic
> indicators:
> graph0=100*((close-llv(low, 14))/(hhv(high,14)-llv(low,14)));
>
> Smoothing this line using MA (not ema) produces the %k on a slow
> stochastic (3 is the smooth degree):
> graph0=ma(100*((close-llv(low, 14))/(hhv(high,14)-llv(low,14))),3);
>
> I was at first dissapointed at the trouble I had to go through to fix
> the stochastic. However the trouble has caused me to learn how
> configurable Amibroker is and how powerful the AFL language is.
I think that this is the most important thing in AmiBroker -
that you can adopt it to match your needs. I am sure that you find
AmiBroker the most configurable program available.
For example Metastock has similar formula language but lacks
extensive automation provided by AmiBroker thru JScript, lacks ability to
perform searches on multiple stocks at once, lacks filtering by
groups/industries/sectors/markets and so on.

> Thus I'm looking forward to joining the Amibroker family and I now
> feel more confident than ever that my indicators are indicating what
> they should :-)

You will receive a warm welcome.
By registering you enable me to spend more time on AmiBroker
so you receive more updates, more features within shorter time.

Thank you again for trying AmiBroker.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko