Re: [amibroker] Importing Data

Hello, tpresely:

On 28-Feb-01, tpresley@xxxx wrote:

> I read the newsletter with the
> section about automating this process, but the newsletter didn't give
> any information at all on automating the process, only suggested that
> we don't really want the process automated??

Thank you for reading my first submission to the newletter (I presume that is
to what you refer).

What I recommended was to think carefully about some of the pitfalls that you
may encounter by doing things automatically. When the subject was raised on
the ML, I felt that new users of the program and people who have little
experience with the errors that do occur in data need to have some of the
risks made obvious to them, not to rush into things blindly. Doing things
automatically with computers, for example, can lull any user into a false
sense of security; and Murphy's Law has not been revoked yet.

I didn't include any information about how to do things automatically because
that was not my concern. Also, the customised details need to be made very
specific to your equipment/software, data, etc. If I recall correctly, the
previous newsletter has some information that may help you.

> Um, I for one DO want the process automated.

That choice is always yours. The article suggests why I like to stay more in
control; please remember that I didn't say don't ever do it. If you must do
things automatically, do it while in a position of strength. I will presume
then that you have the experience to make this process go reliably, smoothly
each time and that you know your data intimately. Maybe my article helped you
make an informed decision.

> If, as the newsletter suggested, that I don't want to do this, then I
> still have the option to do it the manual way.

Of course! If you don't have this option then you will probably have to build
one anyway, to take care of any data that does cause you trouble, if and when
that day arrives. My only suggestion now is to build the manual method first,
then do the automatic part later, or else you may have built yourself a house
of cards.

Have fun with AmiBroker,
--

The World of AmiBroker Support