Re: [amibroker] Importing Data

Hello Tom,

From: <tpresley@xxxx>
> I want to make sure I understand the process of importing new data:
>
> 1. Find the AMIQuote Program
> 2. Start the AMIQuote Program
> 3. Clear the About dialog
> 4. Click File-Ticker List File Name
> 5. Type the date range in the dialog boxes (if not downloading only
> one day of data)
> 6. Click the download button
> 7. Close AMIQuote
> 8. Swith to AMIbroker
> 9. Click File-Import Ascii
> 10. Select the files to import
> 11. Click Open
>
> Repeat this process every day.
>
> This obviously needs improvement. I read the newsletter with the
> section about automating this process, but the newsletter didn't give
> any information at all on automating the process, only suggested that
> we don't really want the process automated??

I don't know which issue you refer to, but for sure http://www.amibroker.com/newsletter/02-2001.html does not say anything like
that. It just gives you ready-to-use
examples on how to completely automate downloads from ASX and WSE so the only thing
to do is just ONE-CLICK to run automatic updater script.
(BTW: You must be refering to Donald's article, don't you?)

> Um, I for one DO want the process automated. The AMIQuote
> functionality should be built in to AMIBroker, and a button should
> allow automatic downloading of ALL new data (today-last date entry of
> stock) and then import this into AMIBroker.
As for AmiQuote - this tool is provided mainly for downloading lots of historical
data and this was my first intention when I wrote it. But some people asked
for possibility for downloading also current quotes, so I added it.

The problem with integration is that you will get AmiBroker hardwired to
one data source which is not good (I think). I am always trying to make
AmiBroker as flexible as possible - this means not hardwiring to any particular
data source or exchange. So the only way to go, in my humble opinion,
is to have a script for US markets instead of using AmiQuote.
The script is really very similar to the ones already described but anyway
I will publish it in the next issue of the newsletter.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko