RE: healthcare was RE: [RT] sp500/nasdaq top

This is
interesting....my wife, a healthcare administrator, is going to be graduating
with a Masters degree in Healthcare law this May.
She currently has
a nursing degree and several other credentials (Certified Risk Manager, etc),
and is only making $59k per year !
She certainly is
not contributing to the high admin costs claimed here, although the directors
and VPs for the hospital chain she works for are definitely in the high 6
figures for salary.
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>
Given the recent
threads about taxes, it is Interesting that a friend of hers, with a degree in
Physical Therapy AND an MBA, was working as an administrator for the Doctorate
program of Physical Therapy at a prominent college, just recently QUIT her
position because her salary in conjunction with her husbands was yielding less
than 40% after taxes...ie she was making $55k and bring in $22k. She now joins
the legions of post-Enron jobless MBAs albeit she made her decision based on the
marginal tax rate imposed upon her family.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: EarlA
  [mailto:earl.a@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 11:43
  AMTo: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: healthcare
  was RE: [RT] sp500/nasdaq top
  "Tort reform" is espoused as a political solution. The fact is that,
  while lawyers are abusers of the system (especially some headline cases), they
  consume a very small portion of that 7% of GDP which goes to healthcare
  administrative costs. Further, many of the tort reform bills I have seen
  promoted, fail to adequately compensate the victims of egregious
  mal-practice. I classify egregious mal-practice differently than the
  inevitable mistakes made by imperfect humans or even the non-mistakes where
  the patient can simply not be fixed. The current system encourages cover-up
  and non-disclosure at every level and that does need to be fixed. However,
  fixing it involves more than just shutting off the lawyers, it involves
  opening physician and health care facility performance and complaint records
  to the public. Under the current system, the entire medical profession does
  its very best to conceal anything negative. It is therefore nearly impossible
  for healthcare consumers to make educated judgments regarding the quality of
  care and likelihood of a favorable outcome.

  Earl
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr