  >From:
  EarlA
  To: <A title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 8:47
  AM
  Subject: Re: [RT] Earl

  Howard, I've shifted my emphasis a good deal and I'm doing very little ST
  trading.

  a) During past 9 months have built a major position in energy stocks,
  many of which are high dividend paying Canadian Royalty Trusts with smattering
  of American Trusts, Drillers, E&P, Services and even a bit of coal. Short
  term twists and turns aside, I think energy is in a long term bull market ...
  the major investment play for the next few years, if not longer.

  b) Heavy position in muni-CEF's is gone ... I don't believe the
  government CPI numbers and the economic pumping is sure to raise inflation.
  Only long position I hold in bonds is in FAX which pays north of 6 1/2% ...
  will probably add on A$ correction. I still poke at bond futures now and then
  ... currently light long for a bounce, then looking to put on shorts to
  hold.

  c) Currencies ... closed all longs in foreign currencies 6-8 weeks ago
  missing the last leg of the rally. I think that the dollar decline is in
  danger of reversing for a correction. I may attempt a swing short in CD or EU
  at some point. I think most commodities are quite likely to reverse
  course when dollar corrects.

  d) Gold stocks ... have a small position but the 415-430 area has
  contained 4 major rallies on the monthly futures chart since 1990. The current
  gold rally is extended and smack in middle of strong resistance. I think
  415-430 will eventually become support but not before a good correction.
  I've lightened up to core holding.

  e) Equities ... closed out my put position around 5 weeks ago when it
  became clear that we were not going to get the expected position. The entries
  were near perfect and I would have done extremely well had I traded out near
  support instead of trying to hold for a major correction. As it was, I swallow
  hard and took the only significant loss of 2004. The 50% retracement of the
  ATH SPX high (1162) and the double tops of early 20002 (1173) are beckoning
  the market and I think we'll get there. A correction is in the cards but
  nothing to indicate it will be major (not yet anyway) although risks are high.
  Have some modest longs on technicals with tight leash. Once 1162-1173 range
  has been hit, I will go flat all trading positions and look to add to core
  holdings in energy. Am looking for a smack down in China to re-enter some
  longs there.

  That's about it.

  Earl

  <BLOCKQUOTE