  >From:
  John J. Lothian

  To: <A title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 4:18
  PM
  Subject: [RT] The Eurex US Myth, A Fish
  Story
  **** The following is an essay I wrote for today's
  FutureSource Fastbreak Newsletter:When Eurex US gets regulatory
  approval to open its US Futures Exchange it will announce a launch date
  and jump right into competing in the U.S. Treasury futures market.
  It will take on the CBOT head to head.  It will capture market share
  because of its all-electronic trading on a tried and true trading platform
  and low pricing structure.  At least that is the myth.
  The reality is likely to be something completely different.  It
  could well start out that Eurex US looks a lot like the Brokertec Futures
  Exchange, except with someone other than the big Wall Street brokerage
  firms footing the bill.  Eurex US may look a lot like Eurex AG, which
  is the Frankfurt parent exchange.  That is not to say that Eurex US
  could not transform itself into something different (read more retail
  trader friendly) down the line, but from the looks of things this is what
  I see.Eurex US is likely going to cater to the large institutional
  players, while playing lip service to democratic markets and level playing
  fields for traders of all sizes.  Why do I say that?  For one
  because I can't find word one on the Eurex US web site about educating the
  public about futures trading.  Despite being only a little more than
  three weeks away from their planned launch date (pending regulatory
  approval), there is no educational material about futures trading on
  the Eurex US web site.I took a look at the web site of the parent
  exchange hoping to find some educational materials.  There is a
  plethora of courses and online tools, but the "Introduction to Futures
  & Options" publication they offer only comes in German, according to
  their web site.  I don't know if this means that Eurex does not plan
  on the participation of new traders from the public realm or that they are
  going to outsource their educational efforts.  If so, that has yet to
  be announced and the clock is ticking.  Eurex AG does offer
  in person trading seminars on its web sites for a fee, but during the next
  few months their web site says the seminars will be offered in places like
  Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Munich and Zurich.  Needless to say, we
  are three weeks from when they want to launch and these things are still
  unknown.  As a broker I want to know what Eurex is going to offer
  because I want to be able to keep myself, my firm and my clients informed
  about new markets and new trading opportunities.Many times my firm
  and/or firms like it often work with exchanges in seminars, online
  webinars and micro web sites to promote both the exchange and its
  products, and the brokerage firms.  I don't see any signs of that
  happening anywhere with Eurex US.For example, the CBOT has introduced
  product focused micro web sites for interest rates and equity products.
  The CME Electronic Transition Committee own web pages dedicated to helping
  members (and non-members) make the transition from floor-based markets to
  electronic trading.  The Electronic Trading Resource Guide section on
  the ETC site say it has over 1000 links to sites such as exchanges, quote
  vendors, FX, charting software, newsletter opinions and chat rooms,
  global resources, as well as tax help for traders.Both of these
  long established Chicago exchanges are making sincere efforts to educate
  the public about futures trading and attract new traders to the
  markets.  This is an essential function for building a deep
  multifaceted pool of liquidity, with the participation and ongoing
  entrance of traders of all sizes and types.  This is where price
  discovery happens at its best.  Trust in the validity and fairness of
  the price discovery process is essential for the use of the market to
  transfer real risk from hedgers to speculators and back again.I
  have a theory I foist on people from time to time to explain the markets
  that involves traders as different sizes and types of fish.  Retail
  traders are of course the small fish.  Exchange members and
  proprietary traders are the medium fish.  The big fish, or sharks,
  are the large institutions.  Medium sized fish can be sharks too (or
  really big catfish) as we all know, but they are still medium sized
  sharks.A market, like an underwater ecosystem, must be friendly to
  the smallest participants to attract larger participants.  It starts
  with the small fish.  An exchange-traded market must attract small
  traders to be able to attract the medium traders.  Once you have the
  small and medium traders, it is easy to attract larger
  traders.Perhaps the best recent example of this is the emini
  S&P.  It started off as a retail focused product, with barriers
  to keep the big fish out.  Order size limits have been gradually
  expanded to allow larger and larger participants to trade.  And so
  they have.  The emini S&P growth has been nothing short of
  phenomenal and the maximum order size limit is about to jump from 250 to
  400 contracts.  When emini S&Ps started trading the maximum
  order size was 30 contracts.  Any order over that was supposed to be
  sent to an open outcry pit for an all or none execution.  That
  facility has hardly ever used by the big fish/traders.  Instead the
  big fish preferred acting like little fish 30 lots at a time, while
  increasingly lobbying for larger and larger maximum orders sizes.
  Even many of the exchange member liquidity providers, members in the
  pit or in front of screens, started out as little fish.  The CBOT for
  many years used the now shuttered MidAmerica Commodity Exchange as a
  small fish bowl of a training ground.  There, traders learned how to
  trade without having to worry about the dangers of the big
  fish.One of the reasons I am a big proponent of single stock futures
  is because they are smaller contracts that give traders space to
  learn.  So far single stock futures are a market of small fish, some
  medium sized fish market makers and a couple of rather friendly large
  fish.  It is a small fish and trader friendly environment.
  Other small fish and trader friendly markets are the emiNY Crude Oil
  and emiNY Natural gas markets of the NYMEX that trade on Globex.
  Yes, there are large players who dominate the big open outcry markets,
  but the small fish can efficiently interact with the medium sized fish
  market makers while having the advantages of electronic trading and
  avoiding the disadvantages of being a small fish in a big fish dominated
  market.The CBOT's Mini Gold market set a new volume record on Tuesday,
  January 6th.  This is a market with small and medium fish/traders
  interacting; again avoiding the pitfalls of being a small fish in a
  big fish dominated open outcry market.  This is a market that demands
  your attention when price action turns volatile and active.
  Another element of the Eurex US exchange that is not small fish
  friendly is the limited number of contracts they are listing.  While
  I have no doubt in time they will list many different contracts, they
  are starting out as a narrowly focused fixed income exchange.  In
  this Eurex US looks a lot like the shuttered Brokertec Futures
  Exchange.  Brokertec never even listed options on their Treasury
  products.  Options are an important part of the ecosystem of current
  futures markets as the liquidity of the futures is used to hedge
  option positions and buying and or selling options helps manage
  futures positions.  Without a dynamic, integrated and transparent
  options market, there are fewer hiding places for the small fish
  trader.  Small fish are important to a market.  It is
  their thrashing around, reversing directions and scurrying about that that
  exposes the large and medium fish hiding behind the rocks and lurking in
  the weeds.  Small traders are essential for the price discovery
  process.  But so are medium fish and large fish/traders.
  Building a dynamic, multi-faceted pool of liquidity is not something easy
  to do and it takes a market environment friendly too all types and sizes
  of traders to realize it.  Attracting the little fish/traders
  means building trust with them.  Enacting liberal block trading rules
  that favor large/fish traders is not going to attract the small fish, as
  the Brokertec Futures Exchange experience can attest.  Brokertec had
  other issues, but it starts with building an environment where the small
  fish/traders want to participate.Attracting the little
  fish/traders means offering a fair playing field, with transparency for
  all participants to see and interact freely with the market.  The
  water and markets get murky and threatening for the smaller fish when the
  big fish just talk (calling around negotiating trades) to the other big
  fish. Of course by my standards I am just a shiny fore-headed little
  fish from Chicago and Eurex AG is the largest futures exchange in the
  world by volume that just finished a year where they traded over 1
  billion contracts. So what do I know?Regards,John J.
  LothianDisclaimer: The opinions expressed are is strictly the
  opinion of John Lothian, and not necessarily those of his employer, The
  Price Group and its management, and is intended solely for informative
  purposes and is not to be construed, under any circumstances, by
  implication or otherwise, as an offer to sell or a solicitation to buy
  or trade in any commodities or securities herein named. Information is
  obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but is in no way
  guaranteed.  No guarantee of any kind is implied or possible where
  projections of future conditions are attempted.  Security futures are
  not suitable for all customers. Futures and options trading involve
  risk.  Past results are no indication of future performance.

  Yahoo! Groups Links

    To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/realtraders/

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
    href="">realtraders-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/realtraders/