Re: [RT] Case for the bulls-Maybe there is a case for both the bullsand the bears?

  • To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [RT] Case for the bulls-Maybe there is a case for both the bullsand the bears?
  • From: Ira Tunik <irat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:10:15 -0800

I can't direct you to a discussion, because I don't know of any books or papers that were written specifically on this subject.  There are
several things that you can look at to ideas on this phenomena.  There is Hurst's book on cycles for one, and there is some Gann and Eliot that
might help you.  Basically you should look for the angel of assent or dissent of price.  this can be set up in channels so that you have an
idea of momentum in the direction you are looking at. The steeper the angle the greater the momentum and the later in the cycle the high will
appear.  The reverse is true for down markets.  Here is a 3 min. chart of the S&P for today showing a 17 bar cycle.  Look at where the highs
occurred relative to the cycle start and cycle finish for the legs up and for the legs down.   That is what translation is, the movement of the
high from the beginning of the cycle to the end of the cycle depending on whether you are in an up move or a down move.  That is one of the
reasons that cycle are always measured from low to low.  Now look at symmetry.  From the start of the cycle count you have 3 cycle up and 3
cycle down with the high exactly in the middle.  What should you expect from the next 6 cycle move?  It should appear as a channel with little
upside potential.  Being the low at the end of the 6 cycle move was lower then that at the beginning, the rally shouldn't take out the high and
the next leg down should be lower then the first leg down.  A simple application of Gann's measured move theory.   Usually the greater the
momentum of the move the earlier or later the high, depending on whether the move is up or down.  I hope that this helps explain the theory
behind translation.  Ira.