From: Ira Tunik [mailto:irat@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2001 4:45 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RT] VERY HEAVY BLK activity ON MSFT

Everyone goes on the assumption that the puts are liquid and in many stocks
they are not.  Therefore the synthetic put, long call and short
stock is the only way to go.  It allows one to trade the stock, which is
liquid, and the limited risk comes with the call.  I have tried to get
out of many put positions that were impossible because of liquidity and
therefor had to go to the stock to take the profit.  It is not a
perfect world.  Ira.

"Dorothy K. Carter" wrote:

> less risk as well.. when you are short you have unlimited risk.. when you
> buy a put your risk is only premium......... ----- Original Message -----

I'm
> > not
> > > shorting I call just to see how business is going just to see what
their
> > > business is like so I'm aware obviously after 27yrs in the biz.  I
would
> > > still maintain that the average broker does not short and that many
that
> > do
> > > have only a few sophisticated clients that do.  Most brokers have gone
> > > fee based busines vs comm.. .. I'm curious why  the thought out there
> > would
> > > be that the brokerage firms would not charge interest on  margin
> > acct..(that
> > > would be like going to a bank and not expecting to be charged interst
on
> > > loan and if fact int rates at brokerage firms are often lower than
loans
> > > that you can get at a bank!!! so don't know that "rip off" as
suggested
> by
> > > Norm is accurate)..to my knowledge there is not such thing as a "stock
> > loan
> > > fee" as suggested in Norm's post...   you are charged margin interest
> > > though.  anyway.. Thank God Monday is coming so we can get back to
> market
> > > trading ideas .. This thread is getting old..

Protect your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE guide: "Securing Your Website for business" Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/M.WTOC/m1FDAA/cosFAA/zMEolB/TM