RE: [RT] SPX long term chart

Attached, is an updated chart with this month's close.  The indicator at the
bottom of the chart is a smoothed instantaneous projection of the rate of
percentage gain/loss on an annual basis.  This version of the indicator is a
more mathematically correct presentation than in the earlier chart that I
posted. It takes the log of the price series then determines the slope of a
12 bar (ie, 12 month) linear regression, and uses that value to convert back
to an equivalent annual CAGR.  Basically, it is a long-term trend strength
indicator.

The bars that are painted red on the chart, are those bars where the 12
month linear regression slope is negative (in the previous bar). There's a
one month lag because the red bar shows the earliest bar at which we would
have known that the trend went negative.  As you can see, in the go-go years
of the 80's and 90's, going to cash when the bars went red, would probably
have left roughly half of buy-and-hold on the table. However, it would've
returned you about 80% of the large move from 1995 to 2000.

PS: the (Not So) Easy Language calculation for the indicator is:
    100 * (power(expvalue(LinearRegSlope(log(C), 12)),12) - 1)

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ujOgTC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/zMEolB/TM