Re: [RT] S & P MMS sees larger U.S. growth drop in Q4 & Q1

Dorothy, there are several factors that aren't being considered in the
last post. The assumption is that the airline and tourism crisis is going
to damage this economy. It may, but there are some real good reasons to
see this as a plus. Let me give you alternate ideas. First, the airlines
are mainly supported by business travel. Without business travel, which
mostly isn't necessary, do you realize how much money companies can save?
This money will be cranked back into their infrastructure. What we still
haven't seen, and this befuddles me, is why there wasn't an explosion in
business after year 2000 since companies no longer needed to fund expensive
programs to protect against programming catastrophes. As for tourism being
hurt, most of that involves spending American dollars in some other country
with only a limited number of agents being hurt here. I think a lot of
money will remain in America and this will help the balance of trade and
further support the dollar. Hotels may be hurting now, but that's only
temporary until people adjust to using their cars to travel. Well, this
may be just ramblings, but I hope I'm right.
Ralph
"Dorothy K. Carter" wrote:

 My
guess is that after revisions that Q3 is already negative before 9-11  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
09/25 12:31A (RT)S&P's MMS
sees larger U.S. growth drop in Q4
Story 4790 (I/ASIA, I/AAA, I/TCF,
I/DBT, I/US, I/ECI, H/)
   In alert "S&P
SAYS ASSUMING 1.5 PCT GDP DROP FOR US IN Q4
2001, 1.5 PCT GAIN IN Q1 2002"
please read statement was from
Standard & Poor's MMS instead
of from S&P. (Clarifying source of
statement)
    The story follows:
    HONG KONG, Sept
25 (Reuters) - Standard & Poor's MMS said on
Tuesday it had changed its growth
assumptions for the United
States economy to a 1.5 percent
fall in the fourth quarter of
2001 and a 1.5 percent gain in
the first quarter of 2002
following the devastating attacks
in New York and Washington.
    "The contraction
underway in the airline industry is clearly
substantial and we would expect
associated weakness in the
business travel and tourism industries
to significantly impact
employment and GDP in Q4 and Q1,"
it said in a statement.
    ((Hong Kong
Newsroom +852 2843-6934, Fax +852 2845-0636
hongkong.newsroom@xxxxxxxxxxx))
 REUTERS
Rtr 00:31 09-25-01

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor