  To: <A
  href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
  title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 11:54
  PM
  Subject: Re: [RT] A Contrarian View
  Norman, I really enjoy Dorothy's view and I do listen to what
  she says. (Do you hear that Dorothy?) Like you, I should have heeded the yelps
  of doom sooner, but I think the WTC event really tipped the scale in favor of
  the doom sayers. This type of event is really unprecedented and unpredictable.
  Along these lines, I recently checked the drop in 1991 when Iraq invaded
  Kuwait: that drop was about 17%. If you check this past drop, it's about the
  same percentage. One thing that may really tip this market in favor of the
  bulls is a quick resolution to either the capture or killing of bin Laden. If
  we bear minimal losses, I think this market  will scream higher. As for
  getting bin Laden, I think that's  imminent with the vast buildup of
  forces in the area and  the close cooperation with the Russians. Last I
  heard, there are over 650 aircraft and 3500 Tomahawk missiles heading for the
  Middle East, which is a much larger arsenal that what was assembled to extract
  Iraq for Kuwait.
  By the way, here's the record for Thurlow Growth.
  Thurlow Growth (THRGX: news, chart, profile) is up 0.8 percent in the
  past four weeks, one of only two growth funds in positive territory, according
  to fund tracker Lipper Inc. That's a far cry from the 213 percent annual
  return Thurlow posted in 1999 with heavy bets on technology.
    The $3 million fund was still 100 percent invested in stocks in
  April. Thurlow began selling in June, and was 50 percent in cash by mid-July.
  The fund has been more than 95 percent in cash since early August, when it
  began to look like the economy would turn lower.
  Ralph
  Norman Winski wrote:

    Ralph, <FONT
    face=Arial>    All I know is that I resisted
    Dorothy's bearish views for several months and missed a great opportunity to
    go short. However, I avoided going long because I respect Dorothy's analysis
    and wasn't convinced about the upside.  One of the things one learns on
    the trading floor is to not only chart markets but also chart people.
    Currently Dorothy has been hot hot hot and is on a winning trend. Until I
    start to see proof to the contrary, I woudln't want to fade her. Let the
    trend be your friend. <FONT
    size=-1>   Speaking of trend, what is Tom Thurlow's track record
    for the past few months or year?  Did he go short circa May 22?
    Have you tracked him for long?  Did you take into account that most
    fund managers have a bullish bias because they are forced to make their
    living by being long and then must try to justify why they are losing their
    clients money? Ever notice how many fund managers come on CNBC and
    repeatedly say to buy buy buy all the way down?  What do the sheep
    being led to slaughter on Wall Street say?  Baaauuuuuuy Baaaauuuuuy
    Baaauuuuuy!
    You may be right about the market getting close to a low. Perhaps we have
    already seen the low. However, I don't understand you tossing Dorothy
    overboard on a whim when we know she has been riight because the first
    mutual fund manager you find in a chat room convinces you otherwise. Can you
    explain this? <FONT
    size=-1>Thanks,
    Norman
    Winski  Best