Re: [RT] Question on Day trading restrictions

> > The new requirements for day trading accounts state that there must
> > be $25,000 in the account.  I understand that if more than four
> > trades in one week are closed within the same trading day, this
> > imposes restrictions on the trader.

My understanding is that if you day trade four times or more in one week
(this means more than three), your account becomes flagged as a pattern day
trader (sounds like some sort of addictive psychosis). You then have to wait
until enough trades have settled (T+3) that your account reverts back to its
pristine state and you are no longer a pattern day trader in order to trade
again.

I have also heard that IB is not giving 4-1 margin to anyone, regardless of
how much is in your account. This I learned from www.elitetrader.com which
has a lot of threads concerning IB. It is very useful in this regard and in
general. One of the elitetrader members, who contributes frequently, is
known as def. He is employed by IB and answers people clearly and promptly
on the elitetrader site. You can also get his email address through the
site.

Hope this helps.

Gila