Re: [RT] Markets: Stock Index Futures and regulation

In a message dated 9/8/01 9:17:48 AM Central Daylight Time, eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< Perhaps another advantage ... I assume that SSF will also offer the same
 60/40 capital gains treatment as traditional futures?

 Earl >>

Earl:

I am not an accountant and don't have definitive answers on the taxation
issues.  But I believe that SSF will not initially offer the same 60/40
futures tax treatment.  There is lots of politics that brought this product
forward.  Someone at the FIA meeting Thursday said SSF were one of two items
Congress had specifically forbidden trading in.  The other was onions.  I
would think that the Securities market crowd had something to do with SSF
being previously banned and influenced the tax treatment issue, regardless of
how illogical it would seem.  Try holding on to a SSF for over a year when
they are only list for 12 months out.    Hmmm.

Regards,

John J. Lothian

Disclosure: Futures trading involves financial risk, lots of it!  John J.
Lothian is the President of the Electronic Trading Division of The Price
Futures Group, Inc., an Introducing Broker.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/47cccB/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/zMEolB/TM