Re[2]: [RT] Attn Ensign charting users - New ESPL Yahoo Group.

On Saturday, August 04, 2001, 9:42:52 PM, Steve wrote:

S> Ztrader, I am not an employee of Ensign and therefore have no
S> interest in its promotion, other than the support of the owner
S> Howard who works overtime to keep his customers happy.

I understand. I was suggesting that an open list that allowed potential
users to see how well the language works might persuade more people to
use Ensign, and thus support Howard even more effectively.

S> I formatted the exchange to discourage lurkers.

I agree with this noble goal, but IMHO it's not gonna happen. Lurkers
are a fact of life on lists. Over the years, I've started or managed a
number of trading lists, some with even more stringent requirements
than yours. In all cases the lurkers outnumbered the contributors,
especially after the list matures and the initial burst of enthusiasm
wanes.

The most successful lists are usually open lists. One can never tell
when a lurker might add something of value, especially if encouraged
in the proper way.

S> Some of the contributions have been original (but need not be) and
S> it would not be fair to open the code up to anyone. The only
S> requirement is to contribute your own idea and script.

How does this make it more fair? You are encouraging people to submit
a perhaps trivial example to gain admission. Since I'm just trying to
evaluate the language, I'd write the quickest example I could.

S> A membership that has some coding experience will be more
S> supportive to ESPL questions.

I have lots of coding experience, but not with ESPL. By not allowing
such people on the list, you might be eliminating an excellent source
of coding ideas. I've got LOTS of code that would need converting to
ESPL. :-)

S> Try www.ensignsoftware.com for more information. Also check the
S> newsletters for examples.

Example do not convey the real effectiveness of the language as well
as the back-and-forth discussions on lists.

S> At $30/month you can go wrong!

I agree that I could go wrong. :-)

S> Ensign runs with eSignal.

I am, unfortunately, familiar with this company. :-)

S> Here is an example of a script that I wrote  Only about 30 lines of
S> code.

I didn't see the code attached. Did I miss it?

In any case, here's my contribution, as required to join:

procedure TriAverage;
var
  i,k,ave1,Ave12, denom: integer;
  sum: real;
begin
  SetUser(ePosition,eChart); {plot on the chart}
  SetUser(eUser,1+16);       {plot and show 1st array only}
  ave1:=GetUser(eParm1);     {read parameter from form}
  denom:=0;
  for k:=1 to ave1 do denom:=denom+k;    {divisor}
  Ave12:=ave1/2;
  for i:= BarBeginLeft to BarEnd do begin
    sum:=0;
    for k:=i downto i-Ave12 do sum:=sum+Last(k)*(k-i+Ave12);
    for k:=i-Ave12 downto i-Ave1 do sum:=sum+Last(k)*(i+Ave12-k);
    SetUser(1,sum/denom,i);    {value to plot}
  end;
end;

You might consider opening up the list - it might be more successful.

ztrader

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/zMEolB/TM