Re: [RT] C or C++ Compiler?

Good points.  I've added some of my own comments below...

At 07:35 AM 6/15/2001 -0400, Jeff Haferman wrote:

>There is a free 32-bit C/C++ development system for Intel-based
>PCs available from
>http://www.delorie.com/djgpp
>
>This might be a good way to start to see if you are really
>into it.

Keep in mind though that these free GNU(-ish) packages aren't set up for
your average Joe that wants to be spoon fed.  You may "save" a few bucks
upfront, but you'll probably have to work a bit harder to get up and running.

>If you really want to shell out money, then I recommend
>Microsoft Visual Studio Version 6.0, you can usually
>get it for fairly cheap on Ebay.  Then go and and buy
>The "Programming Windows 9x" book by Charles Petzold.
>(actually, the Petzold book assumes a knowledge of C,
>but if you're a fast learner you could probably get by
>with just Petzold, otherwise, you'll need a more introductory
>book for learning C).

I don't know anything about that particular book -- it may be good.  First
though I'd ask yourself what you want to use the language for.  You
mentioned writing DLL's for TS.  If that's the case, you really don't need
to know too much about Windows specifics.  I wouldn't waste a lot of time
on GUI stuff, etc.

>The Borland C/C++ compilers seem to be popular but I have never
>used them.

If you want to code DLL's for TS, from what I've heard, you're looking at
either Visual C++ from Microsoft or Borland's C++ compiler or
PowerBasic.  TS only "supports" (relatively speaking) Microsoft and
Borland's compilers from what I know, but I've heard on this list that some
have had success with Power Basic.

If you're coding to TS4, I believe you need 16-bit DLL's (TS2000 uses 32bit
DLLs).  From what I've heard on this list in the past is that you need an
older version of Visual C++ to accomplish this.

With respect to TS DLL's, I only have experience with Visual C++ 6.0 with
TS2000.  I've used Borland's JBuilder Foundation (the free version) for
other work, and have been quite happy with it.

>A lot of folks will suggest that you go with Visual Basic
>(which is a part of Visual Studio) but if you're starting
>out from scratch it probably doesn't matter much whether
>you learn C or Basic.

Keep in mind that I don't know that anyone has been able to make Visual
Basic work with TS DLL's.

>   Note that C is a subset of C++, and
>the "object-oriented" concepts involved with C++ tend to make
>that a more difficulat language to learn.

I think the "difficulty" level depends a lot on the paradigm that you come
from (ie what languages you've learned first and how long you've used
them).  If you're going to do a lot of coding and do something big,
learning OO is recommended.  There is more syntax to learn and such, but
it's a more natural way of thinking and it scales much better.

>If you're just starting out, I'd suggest you try and find
>a class in your local area that you can attend.

This is a great idea.  If you can find one that will use the same tools as
you, it will be a huge jump start.

---
Yahoo account: david_wieringa
Software Engineer (contractor)