Re: [RT] Mark Brown & RT Rules

On Monday, May 21, 2001, 3:49:54 PM, I4Lothian@xxxxxxx wrote:

Nice post!

Iac> Personally, I like seeing people's ideas challenged.  When people challenge
Iac> my ideas, that only makes me and the ideas stronger.

I agree. This can be one of the best parts of a list such as this. It
is preferable that it be done with civility, but it does not always
work out that way in the real world, especially the real Internet
world. :-)

Iac> Mark challenges people.

He will do it every time. :-)

Iac> I challenge the moderator(s) or list owners of this list to change their
Iac> rules and allow greater freedom of expression and to establish cooling down
Iac> periods rather than banishment.    Lighten up a little, or you will end up
Iac> making this a less interesting and useful forum for sharing information and
Iac> ideas.

I agree. One possibility is to have a MUCH greater moderator
"presence" in discussions. If the moderator detects an undesirable
post, why not have the moderator immediately reply to it and point out
why it is undesirable, and suggest an appropriate action (apology,
retraction, etc). The first suggestions can be gentle. This can be
repeated several times, if necessary, with  decreasing gentleness. :-)
By that time, it is likely that a group consensus will have built up
for an expulsion, if that is appropriate.

Rules are subject to interpretation. We have an army of lawyers who
make good money doing that. It is apparent that there diverse opinions
about the expulsion. Moderated lists are dictatorships, but we might
try to introduce added opinions. We might all benefit from it.

Another possibility is for us to understand someone like MB. I don't
believe he is vindictive, but his 'way with words' is abrasive. He has
little patience with things that differ from his comprehension, and he
will let you know this right away. :-) But so what? Address the
essence of his challenge, trade barbs with him in technical terms, and
there is likely to be a *good* response - and, we will all learn from
it.

ztrader