Re: [RT] Mentors:What makes a good Mentor

 If you're seeking the "Holy Grail", if you want a system which promises vast fortunes with only 15 minutes of work after the market closes or a line of code that pops up blue for buys, red for sells, maybe you're on a dead-end quest and destined to only find "mentors" who want your money.  But rather than the Holy Grail, if you're seeking a way to make a good living, there are mentors out there who can help.  There are those even on this list who will offer their knowledge (many of them do, right here, for free).  But with that quest, ask *yourself* these questions:
Am I willing to put in a long period of apprenticeship while I learn a methodology?Am I willing to come home from the "day job" and put in long hours studying charts, indicators, historical data, etc. as I put the pieces together?Am I willing to stay up well into the night and give up weekends to study?Am I willing to give up time with my family and friends, time which is necessary if I'm to learn the method (and I mean a lot of time)?Am I willing to forego the weekly golf game, a good dinner engagement, the favorite TV show or the NBA finals, because the time is needed to learn the method?Am I willing to lose perhaps a little more money in the markets as I test my new method and I'm not "getting it."?  (To me, one of the keys to a "real" mentor is whether or not he/she will stay with you after the initial work begins or do they impart some facts, and disappear.  A mentor in other studies is constantly there to answer further questions.  Mentoring isn't a one-time thing.)And are you so sure you can learn someone else's method.  Just because the mentor put in thousands of hours figuring something out, can you do it too?
Most true teachers/mentors are on a constant search for knowledge. Even when successful, they're still looking for more and better ways.  Their research has led them to a way to trade the markets successfully.  A true mentor will share the "way" to get that knowledge, not hand it to you on a silver plate (which can't be done).
The cost of a private college education and law school or medical school is over $200,000 these days.  How much are you willing to pay to learn to make a living trading?

  Prosper <brente@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've heard the money for instruction discussion both pro and con for about 9years that I've been involved. On the one hand, if someone truely had a"holy grail," how much would it be worth? On the other hand most of the freementoring will be worth what it cost. If anyone of you spent 10 or 20 yearsfinding the HG and were finally successful, would you give it to anyone thatwanted it for free? How much would you charge for something that could makesomeone 200 million?No one can teach true knack no matter how much money you can pay, even ifthe teacher has knack. I use pro sports as a comparison, how many will makethe pros and how many will be a household name? It is similar in tradingalthough no trader has ever become a household name to my knowledge.Before anyone gets a mentor to train them, they should investigate them inevery way thats reasonable. They may want to find both those persons thatlike them and those that don't, because hearing only one side of the storyis a good way to get taken.ProsperTo unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:realtraders-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions $2 Million Sweepstakes  -  Got something to sell?

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Website Services- Click Here!